• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited / Santander - 16-12-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited / Santander - 16-12-2015

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 16-12-2015
    Amount approx: 2000
    Claimant: Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited
    Solicitor: Howard Cohen & Co Solicitors
    Original Credit: Santander

Particulars of Claim:

Stat Barred? No

Have sent:

Other Info:
    Santander withdrew my overdraft facility on 1/11/2012
    I switched to another bank
    I received a County Court Summons about February 2015 which I defended, saying I recognise neither the Claimant nor the sum owed. I thought they were bluffing so called them on it. I heard nothing back.

October 2015 received a documents pack in post, including:
    - Abbey National Bank Account application form, signed and dated January 1998(!)
    - Santander Statement of bank transactions from 6/2/12 to 12/2/13
    - Default notice from Santander 9/4/13
    - NoA from Hoist
    - NoA from Santander

Today I received:
    - N149a Notice of proposed allocation to the Small Claims track
    - Directions Questionnaire (Small Claims Track to be filled out by me
    - N244 Application Notice from Howard Cohen request to lift the stay

So it appears that Hoist/Cohen are pursuing this matter and I would be grateful for any advice on what to do now.

Do I simply fill in the Directions Questionnaire and wait for a hearing?
    Or begin actively challenging the documents provided by Hoist/Cohen?
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited / Santander - 16-12-2015

Originally posted by BeagleAid View Post
    Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 16-12-2015
    Amount approx: 2000
    Claimant: Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited
    Solicitor: Howard Cohen & Co Solicitors
    Original Credit: Santander

Particulars of Claim:

Stat Barred? No

Have sent:

Other Info:
    Santander withdrew my overdraft facility on 1/11/2012
    I switched to another bank
    I received a County Court Summons about February 2015 which I defended, saying I recognise neither the Claimant nor the sum owed. I thought they were bluffing so called them on it. I heard nothing back.

October 2015 received a documents pack in post, including:
    - Abbey National Bank Account application form, signed and dated January 1998(!)
    - Santander Statement of bank transactions from 6/2/12 to 12/2/13
    - Default notice from Santander 9/4/13
    - NoA from Hoist
    - NoA from Santander

Today I received:
    - N149a Notice of proposed allocation to the Small Claims track
    - Directions Questionnaire (Small Claims Track to be filled out by me
    - N244 Application Notice from Howard Cohen request to lift the stay

So it appears that Hoist/Cohen are pursuing this matter and I would be grateful for any advice on what to do now.

Do I simply fill in the Directions Questionnaire and wait for a hearing?
    Or begin actively challenging the documents provided by Hoist/Cohen?
    http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/how...olio-of-errors

This post may be of assistance with your case. Seems to be the same issues, and the view of the barrister mentioned in the article was that the Abbey charges were unfair and could be challenged under UTCCR
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Good evening.
      You received a county court claim pack in Feb this year and thought it was a" bluff"?
      And entered an off the cuff stating that you did not recognise the claimant or the debt?

It seems now that the defence you have entered has been admitted and the claimant has
      decided it has a more than reasonable chance of succeeding in this.

Yes you must complete all the forms and return them as directed.
      What are your points for challenging the documents you have
      received.
      If you don't respond in time the claimant can apply for summary judgement.

You will also have to make a witness statement before the hearing to back up
      the defence you have submitted.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
        http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/how...olio-of-errors

This post may be of assistance with your case. Seems to be the same issues, and the view of the barrister mentioned in the article was that the Abbey charges were unfair and could be challenged under UTCCR
        Thank you so much for your swift response.

Having looked at the linked article, my reading of it seems to suggest the case in question turned on the issue of the non-compliant default notice and so the issue of unfair charges, although raised by the defendant, didn't need to be considered by the judge.

Looking at the default notice issued to me in April 2013 and comparing it to schedule 2 of The Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983, it seems, to my untrained eye, to be broadly compliant, but I sadly don't have the benefit of a barrister to challenge it.

With regard to the unfair charges, there are nearly £300 worth applied after my overdraft facility was terminated but no other immediately obvious charges, but the £1700 overdraft I had was in place for about 10 years so I suppose I could look back through my records to try and pick out any historical unfair fees if that might prove worthwhile.

Comment

Thank you so much for your swift response.

Having looked at the linked article, my reading of it seems to suggest the case in question turned on the issue of the non-compliant default notice and so the issue of unfair charges, although raised by the defendant, didn't need to be considered by the judge.

Looking at the default notice issued to me in April 2013 and comparing it to schedule 2 of The Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983, it seems, to my untrained eye, to be broadly compliant, but I sadly don't have the benefit of a barrister to challenge it.

With regard to the unfair charges, there are nearly £300 worth applied after my overdraft facility was terminated but no other immediately obvious charges, but the £1700 overdraft I had was in place for about 10 years so I suppose I could look back through my records to try and pick out any historical unfair fees if that might prove worthwhile.
          When dealing with Default notices, broadly compliant doesnt cut the mustard.

The Default notice that my client had didnt state a "Date" it mentioned payment within 14 daysof service, which in itself fails to comply with the Act, there is at least 3 High Court and Court of Appeal cases which confirm this

The problem the client had was they too thought it was "broadly ok" yet when it came down to it, as my case report showed, they were not compliant and a £10k debt was written off in effect
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Well here's a redacted copy of my DN. Does it look similar to the one your client had (if that's not too cheeky a question)?

Comment

Well here's a redacted copy of my DN. Does it look similar to the one your client had (if that's not too cheeky a question)?
              Identical !!!!!!

Comment

When dealing with Default notices, broadly compliant doesnt cut the mustard.
                i.e. regulated content where a particular wording is prescribed, has no wiggle room? Has to be as set down word for word. Can't be something equivalent.

That is they way I've always seen it. Some parts are "fill in the gaps to suit", but the prescribed wording parts are not optional and must be as in regulations.

Comment

A DATE not less than 14 days FROM the date of service.

What is the date of service of that default notice? who knows because it doesnt specify when the breach must be remedied, so there is room for ambiguity, thats my issue with the Default notice above,

Comment

Identical !!!!!!
                    Well that's a piece of welcome good news for a Sunday afternoon! Thanks

So the line that I have highlighted in yellow in the DN is the offending item?
                    If I understand the significance correctly, an incorrectly issued DN violates The CCA and renders the liability uncollectible?

Comment

Well that's a piece of welcome good news for a Sunday afternoon! Thanks

So the line that I have highlighted in yellow in the DN is the offending item?
                      If I understand the significance correctly, an incorrectly issued DN violates The CCA and renders the liability uncollectible?

Well id say read Harrison v Link Financial Limited, as that explains the consequence of a bad notice.

Id also say the notice isnt sufficiently clear and precise with regards to "Pending interest and fees" . What exactly are you supposed to pay? how can you remedy an unknown and unclear breach?? Utter nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

how much is the claimed amount??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X