• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

It this right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It this right?

Recently I have been "resting" from work and required to sign on for a bit, Claimed between Mid Feb 08 to April 9th 08, on JSA and all was fine with that. Application was put through for relief on Council Tax for the same period and all seems well with this but need to send more info to them.

However I received a demand from the council today for an overpayment in housing benifit from the period 02.06.1997 to 11.08.1997.

This is now over 10 years ago and tbh I have no recolation of any overpayment. So advise on a postcard please?

Can it be enforced considering it is so long ago?

Re: It this right?

Have you claimed HB Mid Feb 08 to April 9th 08 for this same period along with Council Tax benefit ?

Have a read of Part 13 http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/uksi_20060213_en.pdf
    The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006

Just looking up time limits.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

There is a time limit within recovery action must be taken once the claimant has been notified of the overpayment.
      Once 6 years has elapsed the Limitations Act 1980 will stop any court action being taken. The LA effectively has 6 years from that notification to start recovery action. There is no time limit where recovery is to take place from ongoing benefit.
      However LAs should be able to prove that their notifications are compliant with Schedule 9 were sent and to the correct address.
      Where the overpayment has been newly created the period of the overpayment is not subject to the Limitation Act.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/upl...71,1,Slide%201

powerpoint doc - staff guide
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you Ame, seems like I have some light reading to do, and in answer to your first question I have not claimed HB recently, just for council tax.

Comment

Okay so sounds like they are after subtracting over payment from council tax benefit.

Once you have done the light reading give HB a call and ask them to send you exact details of this alledged overpayment etc.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Regulations state that all decisions notices should be sent within 14 days of the decision being made (or as soon as practical after). The information that must be included in a decision notice (as listed on the two slides) is specified in Schedule 9 of the HB 2006 Regs or Schedule 8 of the CTB 2006 Regs, In the case of recoverable overpayments the details are in part VII of the schedules.
              10 years is a bit longer than 14 days depends when and why decision was made.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X