• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New From Open University

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New From Open University

A colleague of mine at work has studied with the OU for some years now.

I have often toyed with the idea of starting a course but a couple of things have always deterred me.
    • Finances
    • Could I actually do it?
    At a recent event in Harrogate they announced the following new site, it addresses both of my reasons for not starting a course via OU.

LearningSpace - LearningSpace - OpenLearn - The Open University

It basically lets you do a `mock` course, free of charge online. It gives you a good idea of the course content and commitment required time wise.

I certainly think I will be trying one or two courses, if I can manage it on a trial and finances willing, then who knows.

Hope this will help anyone else who has been stalling themselves.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Re: New From Open University

Excellent thanks Tools, and really glad you are considering testing it out.

I might have a bash at this Introducing social work practice (K113_1) seeing as its related to the access course I'll be starting in Sept. Get my brain working.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It's quite traditional for graduate students to "review" a course before actually studying it... and there is very little to stop you doing so on a open university course. Almost all the study materials are available on Inter Library Loan, and so you can actually learn almost everything you need before you even start the course

Using this technique (i.e. learning the course before actually studying it ) is what got me my first class degree in software engineering

Comment

As you all know i am doing a degree at uni..............my sources tell me that when you go for a job that an OU degree does not carry the same prestige as a degree gained at a 'university'...........I dont know why but if I was considering a degree it would not be an option.......Just my opinion thats all.........May I also add that I am not having a dig at anyone who is working their arse off doing an OU degree as its bloody hard work!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theGobbyOne View Post
          As you all know i am doing a degree at uni..............my sources tell me that when you go for a job that an OU degree does not carry the same prestige as a degree gained at a 'university'...........I dont know why but if I was considering a degree it would not be an option.......Just my opinion thats all.........May I also add that I am not having a dig at anyone who is working their arse off doing an OU degree as its bloody hard work!!!!
          All I can say is that, in the past, when I have interviewed people and selected the winning candidates, I generally have rated the peeps with OU degrees higher than many other candidates (I went to a different university on a full time degree) since in my view it requires greater dedication and hard work to obtain a part time degree while coping with other responsibilites than a full time degree. Other people might rate matters differently.

Comment

I alway rate people who did degrees and course in their own time whilst working far higher than regular degrees.

Shows people have determination and good time management.
            When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

Thank you guys think you just made my decision a hell of a lot easier.

OU here I come

Seems logical as I'm tied with the kids and already have 60 pts with OU. Was thinking of going to ''proper'' Uni but think I'd be less likely to stick at it with the travelling involved.

Tom - how do you acess the inter library thing ? Can make a headstart
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Good for you :clap2:

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Thank you guys think you just made my decision a hell of a lot easier.

OU here I come

Seems logical as I'm tied with the kids and already have 60 pts with OU. Was thinking of going to ''proper'' Uni but think I'd be less likely to stick at it with the travelling involved.

Tom - how do you acess the inter library thing ? Can make a headstart
                  First thing to do is check your local library catalogue, and find out if there are already loanable copies of the course materials in your local county council. in which case, you just need to pay the normal standard reservation fee (25p in my area).

If it isn't available, you just go to your local library and fill out an ILL form. The ILL form is very simple, just asking for details like author, ISBN etc. You will probably have to pay £2 (in my area it is waived for some people on benefit etc) per book you reserve. Via ILL, virtually any book in the world is available, however obscure. I've had books flown in from America and Australia

Comment

Interesting thread .

It is something I have thought about as well. A friend lectures in a law subect in wycombe and she is always telling me about the mature students who do courses part time and she makes it sound so interesting. Also another friend did an OU degree not sure of the name of the subject but she now has employment helping families with needs children. she helps them establish their rights and finding out where they can get help. So she has found it very useful.

Jan
                    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by tomterm8 View Post
                      All I can say is that, in the past, when I have interviewed people and selected the winning candidates, I generally have rated the peeps with OU degrees higher than many other candidates (I went to a different university on a full time degree) since in my view it requires greater dedication and hard work to obtain a part time degree while coping with other responsibilites than a full time degree. Other people might rate matters differently.
                      Tom just to put the record straight I am NOT only doing a full time degree
                      The responsibilities you mention are relevent to me too as I am a mum of 5 kids and 2 stepkids with a husband who has been very poorly during my time at uni..........Any degree is bloody hard work my point was just what I have been told at job fairs etc etc in the university thats all.

Comment

May I just add my congrats Ame.............You will shine at anything you put your mind to.........I admire you hun...........Go get em!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Comment

Originally posted by theGobbyOne View Post
                          Tom just to put the record straight I am NOT only doing a full time degree
                          The responsibilities you mention are relevent to me too as I am a mum of 5 kids and 2 stepkids with a husband who has been very poorly during my time at uni..........Any degree is bloody hard work my point was just what I have been told at job fairs etc etc in the university thats all.
                          My main point is that in the "real world" the open university is well respected by a of a lot of employers... heck, the archchancelor of my university when I was a student had a OU degree

Then again, it's true that for some jobs, there is nothing to beat Oxbridge or Durham, but then... that's life :shrug: .

Good luck on your degree, you need it with 7 kids

Comment

LOL 20 years ago, it was after Oxbridge - Durham, Bristol or Exeter....

And yes, I did my degree at Oxford Poly LOL

Who cares, I had a fab time at Poly!
                            Last edited by Xena; 10th May 2008, 22:11:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomterm8 View Post
                              I apply the same criteria when interviewing, OU is not necessarily harder but requires dedicated effort and is therefore is a good indicator of 'character & work etthic
                              Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X