• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

False Car Insurance Claim against me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Car Insurance Claim against me!

All,

I have a Personal Injury claim against me. What can I do to push this forward quicker?

The claim:

• This August I received a call from Brownsword, acting on behalf of my car insurance company, Hastings.
    • They advised my car had been reported as being involved in an accident with a motorcyclist during June of this year.
    • This was said to take place at approximately 4pm
    • I work at one of the most secure buildings in the UK. I can prove I was in the building between 9am and 5.30pm that day. I have sent this information to Hastings.
    • I can prove I used a contactless payment card in London at 5.43pm on that day and therefore wasn't back in my home town until 6.20pm. I have provided this information.
    • My girlfriend doesn't drive and isn't a named driver.
    • My Dad is a named driver, but can also prove he was at work. We have sent this information to Hastings.
    • The description of the 'driver' is female, 5ft4, short blond hair.
    • My girlfriend is 5ft9, and has long red hair. Her weight is also significantly different from the description.
    • Hastings have advised they have provided this information to the claimants representatives and are pushing back on the claim.

Other information:

• Close to the date of the alleged incident an Eastern European man knocked at my house and advised he had a motorcycle accident at the junction of my turning, he had lost his wallet and was looking for it.
    • He told me the accident was with a silver Ford Focus.
    • My car is a silver Dodge Caliber.
    • I have spoken to the Police - as this points to me leaving the scene of an accident. They seemed unconcerned.
    • This is highly stressful. I have had a number of stressful family matters this year, and this is adding to my problems.
    • I have been told by Hastings that I may have to go to court.
    • It feels as though someone has been able to pick out any car on the street and claim against it.
    • It has been rolling on for months. I'm getting to the end of my tether!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: False Car Insurance Claim against me!

Well actually there is very little you can do.
    It is correctly in the hands of your insurers who will and are dealing with it.
    If you interfere without their authority you may compromise your defence.
    And yes, if the claimant pursues his false claim you may have to go to court to defend it.
    However you won't be on your own. If it is necessary your insurers will instruct barristers.

Comment

Thanks des8.

As this is a false claim, has caused stress to myself, my girlfriend and parents, and wasted a considerable amount of my time, could I raise any sort of legal claim myself?

Maybe this is a stupid idea. I'm just extremely frustrated and have been quite stressed out by the whole episode.

Thanks.

Comment

If you are stressed by a fraudulent claim which is being handled by your insurers. I for one would not recommend you start court proceedings!!

Comment

Originally posted by ths01 View Post
          Thanks des8.

As this is a false claim, has caused stress to myself, my girlfriend and parents, and wasted a considerable amount of my time, could I raise any sort of legal claim myself?

Maybe this is a stupid idea. I'm just extremely frustrated and have been quite stressed out by the whole episode.

Thanks.
          I agree with Des, leave this with your insurer or you could prejudice your defence to this claim.

nem

Comment

Hi both.

Thank you for the advice. I'll leave it with my insurer, who will hopefully resolve the matter before my policy is up for renewal (noting an accident (that didn't happen) now flagged against me).

Comment

Originally posted by ths01 View Post
              Hi both.

Thank you for the advice. I'll leave it with my insurer, who will hopefully resolve the matter before my policy is up for renewal (noting an accident (that didn't happen) now flagged against me).
              It is always a pain waiting for insurers to communicate with each other let alone keeping their clients fully informed!
              I would at renewal time attempt to seek senior memeber of management at your insurers to see if they can offer either
              the same premium or even lower it. Worth trying? I think so.

nem

Comment

actually nothing should be flagged against you.
                YOU have not made a claim on your policy.(I assume you have not filled in a claim form)
                A third party has falsely alleged your car was involved in an accident, and as it involves personal injury your insurers must respond.
                It appears that a third party is attempting a fraud against your insurers.
                You are an innocent bystander.
                Certainly dispute any attempt by the insurers to affect your no claim bonus

Comment

Nem, Des,

Thanks again for your comments. I will update this thread when I receive an update.

My renewal is around March next year. If this still isn't resolved I will certainly battle against any mark against my no claims.

By the way, I haven't made a claim on my policy and am an innocent bystander.

Comment

I promised an update. This got resolved just before my renewal. Given all of the evidence in my favour the claimants insurer dropped the claim. It took a long while and lots of chasing on my behalf before it was resolved.

Comment

Good news and thanks for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X