• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

debt after death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debt after death

need advice the missus hadn't seen or spoke to her dad for 10 years, sadly he passed away 3 weeks ago, he was living in a council house, he had no money due to not working for last 3 years due to having lung removed from having cancer, which came back hence why he passed, after being told he died, the missus cleared his house which 99% of it was junk and we burnt loads, went to close his bank account from barclays to be told that had taken out a loan a few years ago and there still 10 grand owned which missus knew nothing about but now barclays says we have to have pay that debt as she is his daughter, is this right? as we cant afford that after just paying 3400 to burn him, tried to explain it to barclays they just said you have to pay
    Tags: None

Re: debt after death

Originally posted by tonto33 View Post
    need advice the missus hadn't seen or spoke to her dad for 10 years, sadly he passed away 3 weeks ago, he was living in a council house, he had no money due to not working for last 3 years due to having lung removed from having cancer, which came back hence why he passed, after being told he died, the missus cleared his house which 99% of it was junk and we burnt loads, went to close his bank account from barclays to be told that had taken out a loan a few years ago and there still 10 grand owned which missus knew nothing about but now barclays says we have to have pay that debt as she is his daughter, is this right? as we cant afford that after just paying 3400 to burn him, tried to explain it to barclays they just said you have to pay
    Good evening welcome to LB

If your wife's father died with no realisable assets savings etc., the debt is dead.
    Which bank told your wife this nonsense, was this from some " alleged" customer
    service expert or someone actually or supposedly in authority?

Quite simply your wife has no liability whatsoever for this loan.
    Name and shame this bank and I'd be pleased to draft a letter for you to sort this out.

nem

Comment

Completely agree with Nemesis....was there PPI on the Loan? Surely death is covered by the policy
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
        Completely agree with Nemesis....was there PPI on the Loan? Surely death is covered by the policy
        This bank need to be taken properly to task Leclerc, so very wrong and insensitive in these circumstance.
        I will help all I can!!

nem

Comment

I think Barclays was mentioned in the ops post.
          If the loan was in you FIL sole name and there are not enough assets then the debt is written off. Definately worth asking re the PPI too especially as it was a large loan.

Comment

Hi tonto33,
            Sorry, but I don't have knowledge about this issue. You should consult with a bank advisor regarding this issue.
            Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              Definately worth asking re the PPI too especially as it was a large loan.
              Not sure why it is worth the hassle of bothering to check if there was PPI? The poster isnt liable for the debt, full stop.

It may be worth checking if the poster is eligible to get help with the funeral costs: https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
                Not sure why it is worth the hassle of bothering to check if there was PPI? The poster isnt liable for the debt, full stop.

It may be worth checking if the poster is eligible to get help with the funeral costs: https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility
                Barclays are saying she is responsible but if there is PPI it would have paid it off anyway so they wouldnt owe. Don'r know why Barclays are trying it on tbh

Comment

Originally posted by tonto33 View Post
                  Hi Tonto,

Getting back right to the start of this, who at Barclays says you wife is liable for the debt? Is it a local manager of Barclays HO?

I presume FIL died intestate and with no realisable assets and your wife was in now way involved in this loan?

My suggestion is you go to the top at Barclays and make a Formal Complaint this obliges the bank to fully investigate and respond within 56 days.

If you need help in writing such a letter I can help you with it.

nem

Comment

Unless I'm imagining it this thread was started in December 2015 so I'm not sure why it was bumped today by another forum member over a year later.

Anyway my short answer is the Executor of the Estate (if there was a Will) or the Administrator (if there wasn't) should send a section 77 CCA Request to Barclays bank to establish whether the personal loan debt is enforceable in law especially if it was opened before April 2007.

That should shut them up

We do this all the time. Too many creditors think they can pull the wool over the eyes of family members handling their relatives' finances, and too many Executors pay up without question. Always challenge the enforceability of a debt even after death.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by davisgraham View Post
                      Hi tonto33,
                      Sorry, but I don't have knowledge about this issue. You should consult with a bank advisor regarding this issue.
                      Thanks!!
                      I see from your forum profile page that you say you are a Business Attorney from Denver Colorado where the legal system is different from the UK where this site is based.

All views are welcome of course

Originally posted by davisgraham View Post
                      Hi,
                      I am a business attorney and so excited to share my knowledge with all community members.
                      Thanks!!
                      Di

Comment

http://www.vault.com/company-profile...-overview.aspx
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Getting a lot of attention for a 5 year old thread !

Comment

Untangling precisely what happens to debt once death may be a very little tough. It depends on a variety of things, including:

The type of debt

Whether some other person may be a co-signer or has joint possession of the property securing the debt
                            Whether the deceased lives in an exceeding community property state
                            The laws of the state within which the person lived when they died

Comment

Fascinating
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X