• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Banned from store - consequences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned from store - consequences?

Hi.

I have seen a lot of good advices on this site and I was wondering if I could get some help here. I know that I have done a very stupid thing. I feel very lost and would appreciate any advice as this situation had leave a traumatic impact on me and and very worried about the impact that this will have on my future.*

I have made a really stupid mistake and switched a price tags in a large designer store in UK. I don't really know why I have done it, I really wanted the item which was too pricey and I switched the tag on it from £80 to £20. The item was on half price sale anyway ( I didn't know that, it just had normal price tag attached). I feel very ashamed, as I knew what I was doing, and I know now I made a stupid thing and will never do this again. I know that I should have just leave that item if I couldnot afford it and should not have done what I did.

After paying for the item, I wondered for a bit around the store and tried on a few things and then walking out of the store I was stopped by two security guards. They asked me to follow them into the narrow, dark street that was next to the store and into some kind of basement. Then they asked me to sit in a very small room and searched all of my stuff while asking for my details. They kept repeating that they rang the police and the police will deal with me as they 'don't want to touch me' or 'get hands dirty'. I am not aware what authority security guards do have in UK but for a moment I really tought that one of them may hit me. I was feeling threatened and very scared about what could happen next so at first I didn't wanted to give my correct details but one of the guards took my purse and took the details of me. It was the most scary and embarrassing experience in my entire life. They took a picture of me and made me sign some paper on which they previously put my details. They then told me not that I got banned from all their stores and not to come back again. They then let me go without the police arriving. I just wanted to leave as soon as possible so I have not realised that I signed the form but it was not filled in when I was present. The description fields of what I have done were left blank. I am really worried it that may cause me some more trouble.

I know that I did wrong thing and deserved to be punished and I have learnt a lesson to never do it again. The thing I am most worried about is the impact of this on my future. I am young and some day I would like to work in police and I applied for job in local company that does run checks on breaking the law. I am really scared that I have ruined it all with this. I know that police did not arrive but will they still have my details? I will appreciate if someone could explain to me how it works.

Also I do not know how the being banned works. What will happen if I enter that store or other of their stores that is in another city? Can I be imprisoned if I came back? I am really worried as my mum really like to shop in that store but there is no way I could tell her. I do not know for how long is the ban for. I really regret what I have done and really would like to make things right. I was thinking about writing a letter to apologise but I don't want to make things worse.
    Tags: None

Re: Banned from store - consequences?

Hello Catriona
    Sorry for the late reply but been a bit hectic. First of all stop beating yourself up about this. You know what you did was wrong now let it go. There are two types of people in this world –those that have regretted doing something and liars.
    If you read the many, many similar posts on here you will see that if the police were not called you will not have a criminal record. It sounds like these security guards were just trying to put the wind up you – and were quite nasty about it too. BTW, did you have to pay the difference or return the item?
    Yep you may be banned from the store but you will not be arrested if you turn up! Well, not unless you start getting aggressive if they ask you to leave. The chances are you will be able to return in time. I do not think their security is so advanced that alarm bells will go off if you go into another store somewhere but I am not sure.
    You could try appealing to their Head Office with a grovelling letter of apology –nothing to lose –but it is up to you. One way or another this is not going to result in you having any sort of criminal record.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by catriona View Post
      Hi.

I have seen a lot of good advices on this site and I was wondering if I could get some help here.
      I am sorry to reply so late. Oh well.... better late than never..... maybe!

I have made a really stupid mistake and switched a price tags in a large designer store in UK.
      OK....... you already know that this was a big mistake and you'll never repeat it.......

After paying for the item, I wondered for a bit around the store and tried on a few things and then walking out of the store I was stopped by two security guards.
      OK.........
      They asked me to follow them into the narrow, dark street that was next to the store and into some kind of basement. Then they asked me to sit in a very small room and searched all of my stuff while asking for my details.
      Not OK. Security Guards can either 1) Detain a person for theft/deception etc, and then call the Police, ....... or 2) Do nothing at all. They don't have the power to 'arrest with a police attendance' and they don't have any power to search anybody, unless they believe that deadly weapons are involved. So the Guards were badly wrong here.... ok?
      They kept repeating that they rang the police and the police will deal with me as they 'don't want to touch me' or 'get hands dirty'. I am not aware what authority security guards do have in UK but for a moment I really tought that one of them may hit me. I was feeling threatened and very scared about what could happen next so at first I didn't wanted to give my correct details but one of the guards took my purse and took the details of me.
      Again, security guards do have the power (or warrants) to take your purse, or look into it, or take anything from it. That was not good.
      It was the most scary and embarrassing experience in my entire life. They took a picture of me and made me sign some paper on which they previously put my details. They then told me not that I got banned from all their stores and not to come back again. They then let me go without the police arriving. I just wanted to leave as soon as possible so I have not realised that I signed the form but it was not filled in when I was present. The description fields of what I have done were left blank. I am really worried it that may cause me some more trouble.
      Again......... the guards didn't act correctly, but since no police arrived, and since you were not charged with any offence, nor signed any official police caution, I don't think that you will be involved in any further police action at all.

I know that I did wrong thing and deserved to be punished and I have learnt a lesson to never do it again. The thing I am most worried about is the impact of this on my future. I am young and some day I would like to work in police and I applied for job in local company that does run checks on breaking the law. I am really scared that I have ruined it all with this. I know that police did not arrive but will they still have my details? I will appreciate if someone could explain to me how it works.
      Since you did not get arrested by police, or charged with any crime, nor asked to sign an official Police Caution, you will not be entered on to any crime data-base. OK?

Also I do not know how the being banned works.
      OK...... I get it...... your Mum likes to go into this store and you either tell her about your ban and reasons for it, or you get confronted by the guards or management if they recognise you.
      It's up to you whether you can trust your Mum enough to tell her what happened. My daughter got caught stealing in a shop with two of her mates when she was 16yrs old, about 26 years ago now. She had to tell us because the police cautioned her and drove her home to us! She later graduated in radiography and has lead a wonderful career path ever since........... Yeah.... I was mad with her....... but I supported her.

....It's up to you..... what you will tell your Mum..... or not...

Comment

As already advised cease worrying about the police.

I just wonder how old you are, and if you are still living with your parents.
        The chances are that you will receive a series of "begging" letters from an outfit like RLP.
        These will be sent to your home............ if still with your parents will they find out?
        It might be worth considering telling your mum in advance, but it will depend on your circumstances.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X