• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help neede in Disputing a Civil recovery amount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help neede in Disputing a Civil recovery amount

I recently lost my job due to theft from my employer. The theft took place on 3 or 4 occasions and amounted to circa £150. I admitted the amount I had taken in my disciplinary meeting and accepted being fired. I was the invited to a police interview where I admitted what I had done, the police told me that my former employer were trying to claim I had stolen more then I had. The officer went through all the allegations against me and after answering their questions said I had no case to answer against this spurious amount, but that action would most probably be taken against me for the amount I had admitted to. That was 2 months ago.

Today I have received a letter from DWF claiming that I amount I stole is nearly 15 times the amount that I stole. I am willing to pay for the money I took and the cost associated with the detection of this, but want to know the best way to appeal against the total amount they claim I have stolen when I know it not to be right.

Sorry to ask on here, but as I am currently unemployed and do not have the funds to instruct a solicitor I thought I may get some help here.

I am willing to pay for the wrongs I committed but not to pay for something I have not.

Kind regards

Liam
    Tags: None

Re: Help neede in Disputing a Civil recovery amount

I would be very tempted to write back to them denying the sum requested is actually owed,

Comment

I agree a formal denial of the exaggerated claim is the way to go.
      The company should be put to task on proof that any such theft took
      place.
      Why do you think this company would exaggerate the amount?
      Is this a large company?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by familyguy74 View Post
        I recently lost my job due to theft from my employer. The theft took place on 3 or 4 occasions and amounted to circa £150. I admitted the amount I had taken in my disciplinary meeting and accepted being fired. I was the invited to a police interview where I admitted what I had done, the police told me that my former employer were trying to claim I had stolen more then I had. The officer went through all the allegations against me and after answering their questions said I had no case to answer against this spurious amount, but that action would most probably be taken against me for the amount I had admitted to. That was 2 months ago.

Today I have received a letter from DWF claiming that I amount I stole is nearly 15 times the amount that I stole. I am willing to pay for the money I took and the cost associated with the detection of this, but want to know the best way to appeal against the total amount they claim I have stolen when I know it not to be right.

Sorry to ask on here, but as I am currently unemployed and do not have the funds to instruct a solicitor I thought I may get some help here.

I am willing to pay for the wrongs I committed but not to pay for something I have not.

Kind regards

Liam
        Hello!....
        This is what I would do.....
        I would write to DWF and ask for a breakdown of the claim total so that I could see exactly what they wanted and why.
        I would continue to politely request the breakdown of the claim-costs.
        I expect that DWF might ignore my request, but regardless, I would always re-submit the same request to any communication they sent to me, and I would ;point out in each request that is was the second, third, fourth time of asking...etc.
        I think that this would end the DWF attempt upon me......... if it got to Court I would show the Judge my multiple requests, and I know what the judge would do.....

Comment

Thanks
          Last edited by Urban_arteest; 30th December 2016, 14:47:PM. Reason: Wrong forum

Comment

Urban, you already have a thread open about your case so why not look at the answers that have been given already?

Comment

Hi sorry I posted this in here as it was a similar case to mine and didn't know how to create a fresh one (will delete)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X