• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Goods not as described

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goods not as described

Short answer - yes. Once I have money from both trader and bank then I have ammunition. I have something in mind but any suggestions as to best way to proceed against the 2 'consumer protection bodies' would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananass View Post
      Update - received cheque for just over 70% of claim which should by now have cleared. My sincere thanks to all who helped - it is one thing knowing the law it is quite another knowing how to use it.

The detail from R0b was priceless but all the contributions were very much appreciated.

Now I take on the credit card provider...
      Glad to hear what you got what you wanted So just to clarify you are looking to recover the last 30% of the money from the CC provider or have I misunderstood
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Yes, paid in cheque from trader, just sent 'Letter Before Claim' to CCP for balance of roughly 30%. Main objective is to get something from the bank as well to add weight to my argument that they did not handle my section 75 application in the way that they should have done. ie whilst I will never say no to more money this is more about putting a spotlight on the failure of the consumer protection mechanisms.

Comment

Well, in all honestly I shouldn't see any reason why you cannot claim the remaining amount - s.75 claims (as far as I recall) is a joint and severable liability, so you could pursue CCP for the outstanding amount.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The cost of the transaction must be over £100, but less than £30,000.

But you don't have to pay over £100 via the card; even a deposit of, say, £10 will secure your rights under the CCA.
            (I see in your case you have paid more than this, so ok!)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-credit-act
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes, and it is joint and several so all boxes are ticked as they say. They can quibble over whether the amount I'm claiming is reasonable but if I were in their position I would just pay and then lean on the trader to reimburse them. As I understand it they can fight it and make the trader party to it, I presume that would be treated as an entirely new action, that is to say the fact that I have agreed to end my case against the trader doesn't stop the bank bringing them into my action against the bank. (Hope you get what mean).
              Let you know what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Bananass View Post
                Yes, and it is joint and several so all boxes are ticked as they say. They can quibble over whether the amount I'm claiming is reasonable but if I were in their position I would just pay and then lean on the trader to reimburse them. As I understand it they can fight it and make the trader party to it, I presume that would be treated as an entirely new action, that is to say the fact that I have agreed to end my case against the trader doesn't stop the bank bringing them into my action against the bank. (Hope you get what mean).
                Let you know what happens...
                I would imagine the bank will try & argue that you have arranged a F & F settlement.

If it were me, I'd make absolutely clear that's not the case.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Quite so.

Comment

Due to sudden illness of a friend I had to delay further action but was in court yesterday.

Tried to argue two causes of action -

First was outstanding balance as previously discussed -

Second (separate and overlapping) was breach of contract by the Credit Card Provider (CCP) - when I made my Section 75 application I quoted SOGA to support the original breach argument - reply of the vice president was "...you have commented on several legislations, such as The Sale Of Goods Act......it is only Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which imposes joint liability against a credit card issuer, so I will only be referring to this legislation.''

By striking out SOGA the CCP surely set itself above the law.

Anyhow my posterior had hardly hit the chair before the judge announced his regret at not having read the Particulars Of Claim earlier because he would have struck it out before reaching a hearing.
                    The wording of the Consent Order was irrelevant - I had reached a settlement and that was it - case closed.
                    Always knew I could lose but thought I might at least get a fair hearing.

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned, did you only mention s.75 in your claim form or did you also refer to the relevant legislation that they were jointly liable for?

Unfortunately some judges do as they please which is not always fair and the only way to remedy that is to make an application to appeal the decision. However, that costs more money and sometimes it's simply not worth it. Also, it depends on how you've presented your case which might have a factor in how the judge comes to their decision.

There might be grounds for appeal on the basis that the wording of the consent order is relevant and the fact that you only submitted a claim against the trader in respect of their liability only. Since s.75 is joint and several liability, you can have the choice of going after both or only one of them which in this case you chose to pursue the trader first, settling for 70% meaning the remaining balance can be recovered from the CCP. Countering that argument, it could be said that you ought to have pursued the trader and the CCP on the same claim (known as res judicata) or that the consent order barred you from pursuing the CCP. There may very well be some kind of precedent that confirms this position already but I am unaware of any to date.

As you've already settled for 70% you need to decide whether it's worth spending further money to try and recover the last 30% or chalk to up to experience and learn from it. In my view, I don't think it is.

All I can say is that if you have a potential s.75 claim, you would be wise issuing a claim against the trader and the CCP so then you have the best chance of securing the settlement you want and make sure you get 100% of the settlement or as close to it as you may accept
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hello again Rob. When you say it depends on how I presented my case do you mean the Particulars Of Claim (POC) or at the hearing itself ?

Comment

Mainly the POC but also the hearing.. though it sounds like you never got a chance to say much since what you've said suggests the judge had already made his mind up.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Yes, Myself and the chap for the defence were led to our respective seats by the Usher (we each had a table/desk side by side about 2' apart and the judge was already in place looking down from on high behind the bench. Then the first words spoken were (roughly) "I wish I had read this earlier I would have struck out your claim as having no reasonable prospect of success." The few words I got out were brusquely knocked back and then he proceeded to criticise my "lengthy" POC saying I hadn't even put in such and such before finding it (he did at least acknowledge whatever it was, was there after all).

So no, I said little of substance, the defence said nothing at all.

So I did wonder if the POC could have been presented better (and it was lengthy). In it I did mention s75 and SOGA and cited Lord Bingham in Heaton and Others v Axa Equity etc (2002). I also claimed nominal damages also mentioned in the same judgement. I also claimed a separate and overlapping cause of action that being the refusal of the CCP to consider my s75 application in the light of SOGA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X