• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

how will a tax refund affect my esa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how will a tax refund affect my esa?

Hello all. Just signed up and need some advice. I have just been informed by HRMC via a P800 that I am due a tax refund from 2007 for £2,570. It seems a former employer screwed up and it taken this long for it to be discovered. Anyhow a nice early xmas present once the cheque arrives from the tax man. However, as I am on esa in the support group, how will this refund affect that? I am also on housing and council tax benefit. It definatley will not put me over the 6,000 limit that for sure.
    Tags: None

Re: how will a tax refund affect my esa?

Hi and welcome
    If you are on contributory ESA your savings are disregarded.
    If you are on income related ESA your savings/capital are taken into account.
    See here: http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/em...wance-overview
    "You cannot get income-related ESA if your (or your partner’s) capital or savings are above an upper limit of £16,000. There is also a lower limit, normally set at £6,000. If your capital is between the lower and upper limits, a ‘tariff income’ is assumed: one pound a week for every £250 (or part of £250) above the lower limit is included as your income in the income-related ESA calculation."

Comment

Okay thanks. I am on income based esa plus i get housing and council tax benefit but there no way I will be over 6,000.

Comment

What’s a tax refund? msl:

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

Think it is something like the sasquatch legend and I have a footprint as evidence but not much else to prove it exists.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X