• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I sue The council and the bailiff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sue The council and the bailiff?

Hello everybody…. my first post.

Bit of a saga really, try and cut it short.
    I am the director of a small business in a 'pop up'.We are a not-for-profit Limited Company I do not take salary. The landlord is a generous sponsor of our activities and does not charge rent and covers the rates. We have a proper lease and a letter confirming the arrangement from their lawyers.
    Bailiff came to the premises in pursuit of Business Rates owed by previous tenant another Limited Company of which I also happen to be a director, those rates are disputed. They left the premises in March when their lease came to an end and we formed the not-for-profit trading in different sector and moved in in April. Bailiff very aggressive refused to accept that this was a different company or that the landlord pays rates.
    I was on my own and a bit vulnerable… 75, very deaf, two heart conditions — high risk of stroke, progressive arthritis, hip replacement another due, waiting to find out if I've got cancer etc etc.
    He threatened to take the exhibits away (quite valuable) unless paid. When told that they are not ours and that I could not pay the demand there and then., rang an auction house and sent for "a 7.5 tonne lorry and some sack trucks" to cart everything away. When asked what would prevent this happening he said £5,500 would put it on hold for a month. Impossible to do …he said 'use your credit cards you are a wealthy man I know where you live and named the village' Not a wealthy man. A foolish one though….. some of the objects belong to my wife and are precious to her…. she would be devastated. Agreed to let him take £5,450 from my credit and debit cards. Very stressed…. danger of stroke… bailiff offers to call ambulance. Signed document to accept arrangement turns out to be Control of Goods warrant.
    When recovered (been ill as a result) complained to council asked for my money back, got letter saying everything is on hold while investigated. They accept that the two companies are different and that one cannot be liable for other debt even if proved.

Sent them seven day notice no answer. Any thoughts.

This is the very short version and its eating up my life.

I want to sue the Council and the bailiff. Can I? How?

Thanks for bearing with me

Mike
    Tags: None

Re: Can I sue The council and the bailiff?

I suggest chilling out and continuing through the council's formal complaints procedure. It is the quickest way to get a good result with the least hassle and expense.

Comment

Re: Can I sue The council and the bailiff?

Originally posted by mbpuk View Post
      Hello everybody…. my first post.

When recovered (been ill as a result) complained to council asked for my money back, got letter saying everything is on hold while investigated. They accept that the two companies are different and that one cannot be liable for other debt even if proved.

Sent them seven day notice no answer. Any thoughts.

This is the very short version and its eating up my life.

I want to sue the Council and the bailiff. Can I? How?

Thanks for bearing with me
      Have you received a response from the council to your complaint?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X