• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

In need of desperate help with claim against me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In need of desperate help with claim against me

Presumably then Universitys are bound by sale of goods and services etc ? ie must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and so on ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Presumably then Universitys are bound by sale of goods and services etc ? ie must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and so on ?
      Kingston has had quite a few " compliance" problems in the past and they seem to be continuing.

nem

Comment

On that OFT issue

from the Times.
        Universities may be acting illegally if they withhold exam results from students who owe them money, an education lawyer has warned after the Office of Fair Trading forced Kingston University to change its debt collection policy, writes Phil Baty.

Hilary Crook, head of the education unit at lawyers Denison Till, said that universities would no longer be allowed to use the widely adopted sanction against student debtors. She said they would have to rethink their debt collection policies.

Ms Crook said: "If universities are not taking payment in advance, they are now likely to have to sue for their debts rather than withhold marks. It is generally considered that this will cost more, take longer and be less effective than withholding qualifications."

The warning came after the OFT announced last week that it forced Kingston University to change its contract with students. The OFT said that a clause in the university's regulations "potentially denied students the results of an assessment because the fees relating to another course had not been paid".

Kingston's sanction against its debtors breached the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, so the university, facing legal sanctions, changed the clause to make it clear that withholding of results would happen only if a student owed money relating to that specific course or part of the course.

The OFT ruling does not challenge a university's right to withhold exam results where the student has failed to pay specifically for the course in question.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

[MENTION=35709]stamati76[/MENTION] - did the Uni inform you at all that you had to pay them directly before you had completed your course ? send you an invoice etc ?
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

No definitetly i was not informed that i had to pay them directly. However, i did receive invoices after a few months of attendance, when their finance department had not received any payment.

Thank you so so much for all your help. I work on night shift, so it's been difficult to reply earlier. Thank you very much

Comment

@Amethyst

The times article above says that "Universities may be acting illegally if they withhold exam results from students who owe them money". However, it then goes on to say "The OFT ruling does not challenge a university's right to withhold exam results where the student has failed to pay specifically for the course in question." These remarks seem to be conflicting?

Also, you mentioned an invoice. I did receive several demands for payment from the University several months after the start date. Do you think this will have an effect on the case? Apparently, their contract states that after two weeks of study, the University is owed half the fees, even if the student withdraws from the course and after 4 weeks the whole year's fee is owed.

Look forward to your reply

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X