• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Working hours - help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working hours - help

Hi

Me and my 30 colleagues have been what we say "ripped off" but the company says, they are correct in their statement. So whos right by law?

We work from 10:00 to 16:00. Our contract says that we are entitled to an unpaid, unallocated 30 minute break. And now they want to make us work from 10:00 to 16:30 because they saying they paying us for 6 hours work and not for the break.

For the past 5 years we been working till 16:00 with whatever after 16:00 was classed as overtime. But last week out of blue manager came in and told us about changes.

So my question is, can they legally make us stay half hour past 16:00 for the reason that out break is not paid?
    Tags: None

Re: Working hours - help

This seems familiar - have you posted this before?

The law says you are entitled to a 20-minute break if your working day is longer than 6 hours; however, if your contract provides for a longer break, that will take precedence.

Are you able to post a copy of your contract so we can see what it provides for? Remember to remove any personal information.

- Matt
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

This old chestnut

I am surprised these no doubt Graduate managers not old enough to shave yet know it all

As Matt has stated it will be part of your express terms in your contract of employment

What happens now is that the contract will state as an example your contracted hours will be 40 hours worked 6 days out of seven

It will also say what your meal relief entitlement will be within those contracted hours.

Your statutory meal relief will be inclusive of those 40 contracted hours

Not only that you cannot take the break either at the start or end of the duty

Do you have that contract or employee hand book??
      Last edited by judgemental24; 31st October 2015, 17:15:PM.

Comment

The contract says 30 hours, 10:00-16:00 with 30 minutes unallocated unpaid break. There isnt any other information. The management claims the contract was issued with mistake.

Comment

Then if that has been the case for the last 5 years custom and practice holds the field

I will be blunt and nothing personal

You say there are 30 of you this will impact on??

Well get together, Grow some Gonads and say you do not accept this

You put in a group grievance stating you are now all working under protest and ask for a consultation on this proposed change of established contractual terms.

Comment

It doesn't matter that your contract was issued by mistake, your emoloyer cannot change the terms of your contract without your agreement.

In some circumstances an employer can dismiss and re-hire employees on a new contract but there has to be a sound business reason for doing so, which I don't believe there is in your case.

- Matt
            Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

The manager is trying his luck on cost savings and bonus payment no doubt

If you do not object via a grievance then it will be considered you have accepted the proposed contractual change by default

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X