• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Breach of data protection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breach of data protection?

Hello everybody
    I hope someone can give me some advice

I live in small block of leasehold flats and a couple of years ago I extended the lease because I was told it was a good investment . My lease was extended by 99 years and the ground rent is now 0.

I do not particularly get on with my neighbours, to be frank some of them are really horrible. I have just found out that they all know I have extended my lease, the only way I can think is that this guy who works for the freeholder told one of them . Isn't this a breach of data protection?
    Is there anything I can do about it , I am really angry and object to the nosey bastards knowing my business.

I found out when one of the neighbours knocked on my door and asked
    Tags: None

Re: Breach of data protection?

To be honest i would think something like that will be posted in the public domain and quite easy to get hold of

No doubt the land registry will sell those details to interested parties such as property developers and estate agents
    Last edited by judgemental24; 30th October 2015, 16:02:PM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply but I am not sure that this is how they found out
      I think it was the person from the freeholders because I emailed him and he said that yes the other people were aware . To me this means that there has also been a conversation.
      On top of that he said that several of the other owners are now asking for lease extensions so he is not exactly discreet.

These are the sort of neighbours I have, just because I have extended the lease they want to as well and will not doubt try to tell me that they go a better deal

Comment

I do not know to be honest but does the freeholder not have to tell other occupants like when someone applies for planning permission in the same area?

I am only guessing though

Comment

As I understand it, it can't be a breach of data protection if the information is already in the public domain (which it is, at the Land Registry).

Comment

Thanks Steven

That was my understanding as well

Comment

Thanks
              I take your point about DPA
              I do think it is very unprofessional of the freeholders to tell other leaseholders about what has occurred

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X