• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Owners refusing to return deposit on holiday home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners refusing to return deposit on holiday home

Last month my family and I rented a holiday home in France for 4 nights and booked it through Homeaway.co.uk. We had to pay a damage deposit of 400 Euro (about £291) that I paid by credit card which the owners are refusing to refund me. It was in the rental agreement it would be refunded within 7 day of departure. It is now just over 5 weeks.

At first the owners were ignoring my emails, then after 3 weeks I got an email accusing us of all sorts of damage in the property, this is absolute nonsense and it is not credible. They claim we have damaged furniture and emailed undated pictures of the most minute damage, most of which we can remember already being there when we arrived. They have also emailed us a picture of water on the draining board and what looks like a milk spot on a table, all of which they state has incurred excessive cleaning.

Homeaway don't want to know and just keep telling me to resolve it with the owners. The owners are just rude me to me, they were so polite during our stay. I honestly feel as we are outside of France they feel they can con us and probably think we have no recourse to persue it.

I have approached my credit card provider for a section 75 claim, but I just fear they will just side with the owners who allege the damage. I have no idea if it will be successful.

Is there anything else I can do or does anyone have any knowledge of my rights?
    Tags: None

Re: Owners refusing to return deposit on holiday home

Did you pay through HomeAway or direct to the property owners?

I will ask someone I know, Lizzie, (who incidentally is a property owner who uses HA) if they would take a look at this.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I paid it all through the homeaway website.

Comment

I have spoken with Lizzie and she has said that unfortunately the dispute is between you and the owner of the property.

As you previously mentioned I would take this up with your credit card company with a view to reimbursement through Sec.75
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X