• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Roof Guarantee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Guarantee

I had some work undertaken on my roof 10 years ago, which was covered by a 25 year guarantee. This work was having the roof sprayed, therefore fixing the tiles in place.
    We have recently had problems with the roof, whereas water is dripping through into our bedroom every time it rains! We thought this was due to a small area of flat roof, so had the felting replaced by a local company (not an area that was covered by the original work). This work was done from the front of the house on ladders, and did not involve them going onto the main roof at all.
    Since then, the leaks have got worse. After calling out the local company twice, they stated that the problem was further up the roof - a cracked tile (which is covered by the guarantee). They explained that the rain was going through the crack, running along the foam on the underside of the tiles and coming out under the new felt and through the flat roof. (sorry for the long winded explanation!)
    I have contacted the company (a national company) who, at first, said it must have been down to the other work and did not engage with me. I have since managed to get them to agree to send someone round 'when they are next in the area', and that was about 6 weeks ago. I have been chasing them since.

My question is, where do I go from here? How can I get them to stand by their guarantee? My mum has offered to help me out financially to sort out the roof, but I know that as soon as another company sets foot on the roof they will say that they caused this! I suspect they are just waiting for me to do this!!

In the meantime winter is approaching and the forecast is not good! Please help as I can't sleep when it rains as the dripping drives me insane!
    Tags: None

Re: Roof Guarantee

Do you have a copy of the guarantee ? Does it detail any exceptions ( eg impact damage / acts of god and the like ) that could give them an out for a cracked tile ?

Could you tell us who the company are pls. They might be a member of a trade scheme which has a code of conduct which could help you if you have to complain.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Do you have a copy of the guarantee ? Does it detail any exceptions ( eg impact damage / acts of god and the like ) that could give them an out for a cracked tile ?

Could you tell us who the company are pls. They might be a member of a trade scheme which has a code of conduct which could help you if you have to complain.
      I don't think there are any exclusions - I will dig it out in a bit
      I didn't want to say the company name straight off and get into trouble! I will post later with the details.

Comment

I have never seen such a long term guarantee that doesn't have exclusions!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
          I have never seen such a long term guarantee that doesn't have exclusions!
          Ditto! Look at the NHBC for instance.

Likely would have a claim under the Supply of Goods and Services Act in any case, but a claim under the warranty would be easier for you, and it is more likely that the company would engage you in sorting the matter out.

I'd be inclined to get a letter out to them, with the main points being:

"A contract was entered into on [date] between [name of roofing company] and myself. It was a term of the contract that your work would be subject to a 25 year guarantee.

You undertook work at my property in accordance with the contract and pursuant to the guarantee.

Section 13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) implies a term into the contract that the works were to be carried out with reasonable skill and care.

You have acted in breach of the contract by:

1. Failing to use reasonable care and skill when installing the roof tiles to the roof of my property;
          2. Failed to ensure the roof was water tight;
          3. Failed to ensure the felt was laid adequately so as not to permit water to leak through into the Property thereby damaging the contents of the same;

Please therefore let me have your proposals as to the rectification of the above within the next 14 days."

Not a formal letter before action, but lets them know you're taking it seriously.

Comment

The guarantee is a single page of A4 on headed paper. It reads:

Certificate of guarantee
            Address of property: (here)
            Client: (me)
            Date of installation: May, 2005

This certifies that the roof of the above property has been treated by the SPRAYSEAL process.

The slate/tile/stone has been internally bonded where accessible using urethane foam.

The slate/tile/stone so treated are hereby guaranteed against slippage for a period of 25 years. This guarantee covers both faulty workmanship and chemical or physical breakdown of the materials used.

Any treated slates/tiles which should slip during the period of the guarantee will be replaced free of charge and the affected area re-foamed.

This GUARANTEE is given without diminution of any pre-existing rights of the client at Common Law.

signed on behalf of SPRAYSEAL CONTRACTS LIMITED

That is it!

I don't know if there has been slippage, or tiles are cracked to be honest, as I can't get on the roof. I had originally asked them to come and assess it, but as it is taking so long my language is now in the form of 'advise me when you are coming to repair this'.
            My problem is that any other firm will have to do extra work to do a simple fix, and that part of the roof would be different/incomplete, and this no doubt could cause other damage & invalidate what I have!
            They didn't undertake the flat part of the roof, but the company that did were unable to complete it to their satisfaction as they couldn't lift the tiles to lay the felt under it (as they normally would), so they sealed it instead - hence the water going under the felt! This tells me the problem is further up!
            The original work included checking all of the tiles before using the foam.

I know this is long - so thanks for reading!!

Comment

Stop press - just had this email:

Sorry about this, we have just been unable to get a van to you. I understand there is a meeting taking place here next week and I DO hope that we will be able to advise you as to when the guys will be out to carry out the repairs. I sincerely apologise for this delay.

I suspect they may still be stalling, so I am still trying to figure out my next steps, but fingers crossed!!

Comment

I vaguely recall years ago these roof spraying/bonding processes gaining an appalling reputation but I may be mis-remembering.

I am not entirely certain that the letter suggested by [MENTION=62240]dan_1207[/MENTION] is quite right. As I have understood it there are two parts to the roof, the tiled part which is the subject of the treatment and a flat part which was thought to be the source of the leak but which, following repairs is not now thought to be.

So far, as far as I can see, there is no evidence that the tiles were laid inadequately (and indeed they didn't lay the tiles, they treated them with some sort of bonding process, the roof was watertight for something like 10 years, and the felt is nothing to do with it save to the extent that each contractor may seek to blame the other for the current defect.

Neither, at the moment, is there any evidence that any tile has "slipped" within the meaning of the warranty.

I think a good start, if you don't get anywhere with the next week, would be to get an independent report from an appropriately qualified person who may be a roofer or some sort of surveyor.

Unfortunately, I could see this turning into a bit of a bun fight.

Comment

Thank you. I think you may right! Except that this is not a recent problem, but we had not realised that the problem was further up the roof until recently.
                  I think the company doesn't have a good reputation, but unfortunately that information was not as easily available 10 years ago! We live and learn.
                  I will just have to wait and see - and hope!!
                  Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

The flat roof waterproofing Felt or lead would have to extend up the slope of the roof to form a waterproof seal if this was not leaking 10 years ago the Company may well argue the Roofers who renewed the flat roof covering disturbed this not unknown as is movement above the point where the 2 roofs meet when the lower part is disturbed.

Be ready for all sorts of excuse from the roofing company might be wise to get expert opinion if you end up in an argument.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X