• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Building Contract (JCT) Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Contract (JCT) Advice

Hello All,

Its been a while since I have been in touch with the Legal Beagles Community / Forum.

I require some advise on behalf of my uncle not regarding Debt / Consumer Credit but about a Building Contract.

My Uncle recently started a basement project at his home in the London Borough of Wandsworth Area. He and the Building Contractor had a JCT Contract (Joint Contracts Tribunal Contract). I wasn’t too aware of a JCT till now but have come to know they are a formalised / general contract between an employer (My Uncle) and a Builder for works to be carried out at his home.

The JCT highlights milestones of work and dates at which these works are to be achieved by as well as a schedule of Payments.

Excavating the Basement and making it into a “Shell” is Phase 1 of this project with Phase 2 being carried out

The Building Contractor has taken longer than expected to finish this work (Overrun by approximately 4 Months) to complete and the works have not been done to a reasonable standard with several things outstanding.

Payments have been consistent and paid on time as outlined on the JCT. The last Payment of approximately £10K has not been made as my Uncle is not satisfied that the works have been completed.

His Architect and Building Contractor representative came to the property to discuss the issues outstanding and the Building Contractors representative verbally agreed this. In order to proceed to Phase 2 of this project with another Building Contractor to complete finishing the Basement Shell, my uncle was pressured to sign of the project is completed though assured the issues raised at this meeting would be addressed. Unfortunately the Building Contractor is demanding Payment and is not finishing the work he had agreed to finish. He is claiming this work to be "Additional Work" when in reality it was work set out in the JCT.

I would like some advise on how my uncle may need to proceed should he want to start legal proceeding based on the JCT not being fulfilled correctly.

Any guidance / reference to sites would hugely be appreciated.

Regards,
    Pos1tive
    Last edited by Pos1tive; 26th October 2015, 09:57:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Building Contract (JCT) Advice

my uncle was pressured to sign off the project as completed
    That's where the issue is going to be.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X