• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Originally posted by john45uk View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for for your reply.
    The letter I received was dated the 12th May. and I received it on the 14th May.

Many Thanks.

John.
    Hello John,

My feeling after reading through everything again is to let this take its course, and wait to see what if anything the claimant can file by the 1st June.

There is the alternative ( if you are completely satisfied that the debt is statute barred) that is to apply ( form N244 fee payable) for the claim to be struck out on the grounds that the alleged debt is statute barred.

You will need to submit evidence that the claim is stat barred.

nem

Comment

Deer Nemisis

I have phoned the courts today and asked for an extension to the above order. At work and have not got the resources to sort a new N244 letter out and get it sent to them in time. A quick question for you though. Where in the form would I put whether I want the order set aside, varied or stayed and what would you suggest I choose for a debt that is now nine years old ????

Your faithfully

John

Comment

Sorry, sent you the question as you were replying. Yes I can certainly say its as old as I have said it is. Do not have any evidence of it though as I never received any default documents from Halifax. When I phoned them up last October when all of this kicked off, they said that they only send out one lot of documents which they did in 2007 and every else was sent to Cabot. So basically all they could give me was verbal clarification that the default date was in May 2007

Comment

Sorry, sent you the question as you were replying. Yes I can certainly say its as old as I have said it is. Do not have any evidence of it though as I never received any default documents from Halifax. When I phoned them up last October when all of this kicked off, they said that they only send out one lot of documents which they did in 2007 and every else was sent to Cabot. So basically all they could give me was verbal clarification that the default date was in May 2007
          Hi John,

Sounds solid grounds for stat barred in my opinion, and as there is time to spare wait for the June 1st order to be met or failed then hit them with the statute barred status of the debt.

At least then you can be sure what the have or don't have to back up the claim.

nem

Comment

How can I hit them with the statute barred if I do not have any physical evidence though ???

I will leave the N244 letter then and just wait and see ??? It's just more money which I do not really have anyway. I also might go down to the local Halifax and grovel to see if they can write out a letter to say when it was defaulted. Don't want to rub salt in to their wounds so to speak though :-(

Comment

How can I hit them with the statute barred if I do not have any physical evidence though ???

I will leave the N244 letter then and just wait and see ??? It's just more money which I do not really have anyway. I also might go down to the local Halifax and grovel to see if they can write out a letter to say when it was defaulted. Don't want to rub salt in to their wounds so to speak though :-(
              Good idea on the Halifax!!

The onus of proof that a debt is not statue barred falls entirely upon the claimant.

nem

Comment

Many many many thanks to what you and your colleagues on this site have done so far. Cannot thank you all enough. John

Comment

Many many many thanks to what you and your colleagues on this site have done so far. Cannot thank you all enough. John
                  You are most welcome John, your thanks are much appreciated by all!!

nem

Comment

Dear all

Have just recieved another letter from Wright Hassle and the head of head of debt recovery operations, a Tim Hawker has signed it. They have sent with it a N244 form and it goes like this.

" Pursuant to paragraph 1 of the Order dated 5th May 2016 the Claimant is required to file and serve copies of all / any default notices upon which it relies together with a statement of account by 1st June 2016. The Claimant has requested this documentation from the original vendor but these documents have not yet been received. The Claiment therefore requests an extension of 60 days to be granted under CPR 3.1(2)(a) to paragraph 1 of the Order dated 5th May 2016 and a corresponding extension to paragraph 2 of the same order which states that the Defendant may file an ammended Defence if they wish so.

Such an order shall assist the parties in furthering the Overiding Objective by keeping the costs in this matter as proportionate as possible. Furthermore, it will prevent any prejudice arising to other Court users by wasting the Court's time particularly in light of the fact that a hearing date has not been listed. The order shall also ensure that a fair and just outcome for both parties can be reached. "

What are your thoughts on this as they still do not have any evidence nor will they ever have it.

John

Comment

The judgment was originally obtained by default bu the claimant back in what, September / October last year. You applied to set aside in October? - therefore the Claimant has had at least since that date to obtain the relevant documents, which it mentioned in it's particulars of claim ( did you get a copy of the original particulars?) as being relied on and should therefore have had sight of before bringing the original claim ( else it is heresay). You could defend their relief from sanctions application on the grounds that they have had plenty long enough.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Also looking at the order the application is the vary the order... and they should have done that within 7 days of the order - which you received on 14th May so likely they did too. There is no sanction on there for non compliance with the order so I think we can take it that it is an application to vary .
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi John

CPR 3.8(4) provides for a 28 day extension with agreement of the parties.

Imho, 60 days is taking the mickey, as they should have had the documentation before they issued the court claim.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Many thanks Amethyst. Could you please tell me in laymans terms what this means to me and where I proceed from here ? I can't really add anything more to the courts as what i have told them is the truth ??

Please be patient with me as it is a lot to take in and at the moment in the process of parting with my family due to this all happening. Stress took its toll but thats a different story all together x

john

Comment

Hi. Had time this morning to go through the paper work again. Gather that I have the opportunity to put in a letter of defence by the 15th of June.

I will submit my original defence letter and put Amethyst's suggestion as point one and statute barred as point two.

Should I put anything about the conversation with Halifax or would that be just hear say as far as the legal process is concerned ??

Comment

Could you please give me your opinion on the ammended defence letter please Amethyst, Nemesis or others please .

Many thanks,

John

ps sorry Amethyst for plagiarism
                                Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X