• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Dear Amethyst.

Looking at the template for example defence. Again it sounds silly but I do not know when I received the claim from the court. Is it from the very first letter that was sent to me from Colchester Court back at the beginning of December issuing a date to go to court, or the one from Chesterfield Court issuing a date to go to court or the final letter that was sent to me this week from Chesterfield Court ??

EXAMPLE DEFENCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1: I received the claim [Claim Number] from the [Name of Court - often Northampton or Salford] County Court on [Date you received the claim]

Comment

Dear Amethyst. I am going to go with the only claim I received which was via Wright Hassle on the 9th of this month. This gives the original date of last year but I never received. Have put down on my defence letter as receiving it on the 9th as this is when i first saw the claim.
      Attached Files

Comment

Bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by john45uk View Post
            Dear Amethyst. I am going to go with the only claim I received which was via Wright Hassle on the 9th of this month. This gives the original date of last year but I never received. Have put down on my defence letter as receiving it on the 9th as this is when i first saw the claim.
            Good evening John looks good to go imo!

nem

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

Since going to court on the @ 11th of Febuary today I have recieved some more documents from the courts. This is really dragging now. Anythoughts would be gratefully recieved on whether I should go for mediation or progress it further and back to the courts ??

ie

Question C1 yes or no ????
                Attached Files

Comment

Since going to court on the @ 11th of Febuary today I have recieved some more documents from the courts. This is really dragging now. Anythoughts would be gratefully recieved on whether I should go for mediation or progress it further and back to the courts ??

ie

Question C1 yes or no ????

Comment

C1 - Yes - you want it in small claims. You will still be able to ask for the costs of the set aside application in small claims. You can try for the solicitors costs ( if they back out you'll have to ask for wasted costs - although if they do discontinue it might be wise to swallow those ).

Mediation its is wise to say yes, and if they still produce no documents or evidence the debt isn't stat barred you can just tell the mediator that and it won't go ahead. Just having a look at the defence - you haven't mentioned that the debt is statute barred in it ? so you will need to bring that up in witness statements if you get to that stage.

Have you had anything else from the claimant at all other than the copy docs ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

• Re: Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Thanks for getting back to me. In statement 3 of my defence, it says that if a debt exists then it would be statute barred.
                      The last letter I received was on the 23rd of February confirming that regarding my request for information on the account, they confirm they do not hold all my information on file, therefore have requested a copy of original statement. The account is on hold whilst they await this information.

Shall I tick A1 yes then and C1 yes also ????

Many many thanks

John

Comment

Dear Amethyst,

I received a letter from the courts today ( 14/05/16)

It does seem like I have to start all over again ?? Should I apply again to the courts to set it aside / varied / stayed ?

What happens if I don't apply to the courts for the above and just wait for the claimant ( CABOT ) to find those elusive default notices from 2007 ?

Many thanks

John
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dear Amethyst,

I received a letter from the courts today ( 14/05/16)

It does seem like I have to start all over again ?? Should I apply again to the courts to set it aside / varied / stayed ?

What happens if I don't apply to the courts for the above and just wait for the claimant ( CABOT ) to find those elusive default notices from 2007 ?

Many thanks

John
                          Hello John,

The simple answer is if you don't comply as ordered the court will or Cabot can enter judgement for the claimant.
                          If Cabot fails to serve the documents ordered by the judge, the judge can strike out the claim.

nem

Comment

Thanks for the simple answer. Knowing that the debt is over 9 years old should I bother to apply to have this order set aside or stayed ?

If I do apply, do I want it set aside or stayed ?

And thirdly, what form would I use to send this application to the courts.

John x

Many many thanks

Comment

Thanks for the simple answer. Knowing that the debt is over 9 years old should I bother to apply to have this order set aside or stayed ?

If I do apply, do I want it set aside or stayed ?

And thirdly, what form would I use to send this application to the courts.

John x

Many many thanks
                              Form N 244.
                              You have court order setting out what both parties must do by a specified date:

The claimant has been ordered to file documents by 1st June, you then have 14 days to (If necessary) amend your defence.

When did you receive the order? You had 7 calendar days to make the application mentioned in the order.

nem

Comment

Hi
                                Thanks for for your reply.
                                The letter I received was dated the 12th May. and I received it on the 14th May.

Many Thanks.

John.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X