• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Debt of 8 years old and have just had a CCJ put on my file.

Originally posted by john45uk View Post
    many thanks
    Might be worth a chat with your local CAB so you have face to face contact John.

Cabot are struggling to carry the claim forward so there is hope there still.

nem

Comment

I've had a quick peek at your thread and unless I've misunderstood things there is no claim.

The claim was Discontinued after you filed your Defence so the creditor can't re-issue on the same (or substantially the same) facts as that claim without first making an application to the court which is unlikely to be successful.

And the creditor can't "continue" with the claim because it's been discontinued

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      The debt is currently unenforceable but it still exists so if Cabot get there hands on any " evidence" they are likely to continue the claim, which they can do at any time.
      Furthermore if your Defence was based on the debt being SB (it was wasn't it?) then the debt is still SB so any claim issued won't make a difference to that fact. The debt cannot become unstatute barred.

I wouldn't let dark thoughts of bankruptcy enter your head.

Set up Royal Mail re-direct when you move. You can renew it for up to four years nowadays. Any nasty letters will get forwarded so you may not need to give your new address to anyone.

Send a copy of the Notice of Continuance to Cabot and tell them to stop harassing you or else! Take control of the situation instead of letting it take control of you, then you'll feel a lot better.

Did you get a response to your SAR to Halifax? That will clear this matter up once and for all. I never totally trust what someone tells me on the phone. Once you've established that there never was another account with Halifax you will start to relax (I hope )

Di

Comment

@ Diana M

Dear Diana

Got my SAR yesterday. Went through the box of papers and indeed there was only one loan. Also sent a letter of complaint to Cabot giving them 18 days to reply to my complaint upon which I would be escalating the complaint. I also put in a copy of the notice of discontinuance. Many thanks.

John

Comment

@ Diana M

Dear Diana

Got my SAR yesterday. Went through the box of papers and indeed there was only one loan. Also sent a letter of complaint to Cabot giving them 18 days to reply to my complaint upon which I would be escalating the complaint. I also put in a copy of the notice of discontinuance.
          What great news.

I hope it felt good to write that complaint letter to Cabot

You were right and they were wrong, so no need to fear a resurrection of any discontinued claim.

Di

Comment

Dear All

After winning my case, receiving all SAR documentation and getting hold of the Financial Ombudsman, I have started to get get cold calls from Cabot.

This has now put me onto antidepressants and driving me to an early grave. Any ideas what to do next as I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks

John

Comment

Dear All

After winning my case, receiving all SAR documentation and getting hold of the Financial Ombudsman, I have started to get get cold calls from Cabot.

This has now put me onto antidepressants and driving me to an early grave. Any ideas what to do next as I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks

John
              Hello John,

Keep a log of all the call, date and time, may be useful later.

nem

Comment

Thanks

Comment

@ Diana M

Just to let you know that I went to the Financial Ombudsman and got them involved. Received £500 pounds from Cabot this week and they have closed the case. Hooray x

Comment

@ Diana M

Just to let you know that I went to the Financial Ombudsman and got them involved. Received £500 pounds from Cabot this week and they have closed the case. Hooray x
                    Well Done John!!

nem

Comment

@ Diana M

Hooray from me too.

Did the £500 cheque come with a grovelling apology?

If you're in the mood to get 'closure' or retribution you can always report them to their regulator the FCA which gets noted. Send them a copy of the FOS Decision.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                        Hooray from me too.

Did the £500 cheque come with a grovelling apology?

If you're in the mood to get 'closure' or retribution you can always report them to their regulator the FCA which gets noted. Send them a copy of the FOS Decision.

Di
                        what a good idea!

Comment

@ Diana M

Already on to it. 😀

Comment

@ Diana M

I don't feel that great about getting the money considering it split my family apart. I want to go all the way with this and will do so. I have a funny feeling these lovely people at Cabot are going to sell this one on so are am still on edge.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X