• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My daughter has received an RLP notice when her friend was caught shoplifting in boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter has received an RLP notice when her friend was caught shoplifting in boot

My daughter was coming out of Boots when a friend gave her some stuff she had taken, without her knowledge, and she put them in her bag. My daughter is only 16 and claimed she had no knowledge of what was happening. The Police were called and my daughter received a community resolution order. The value of the items was £20 aprox and now she has received a letter from RLP demanding £155. The police officer believed her story so I don't know why she is being chased for payment as she didn't commit the crime.
    Tags: None

Re: My daughter has received an RLP notice when her friend was caught shoplifting in

Hi, Sorry to hear your daughter has been through this, thankfully a community resolution order shouldn't show on any future dbs checks so if it is a one off and given her a scare that should be the end of it and won't affect her future employment.

RLP - we always advise to just ignore the letters. They have no standing in law in our view, and in the view of the Oxford County Court. There will be a number of them and they will sound quite scary. Have a read through some other threads about RLP so you know what to expect, we have examples on the threads of most of their letters now.

Are they writing directly to your daughter, and are they threatening her with court action and telling her parents? ( empty threat as you know anyway ) If you are able to scan/photograph any letters we'd appreciate copies ( take off your daughters personal details first !).

Try not to worry and have a good read around. I'll get you a few links to start off with now xx

Sharon
    xxxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: My daughter has received an RLP notice when her friend was caught shoplifting in

Here's the judgment article ref Oxford court test case http://legalbeagles.info/civil-recov...ment-09-05-12/ , and this is a good overview http://legalbeagles.info/rlp-and-the...-and-the-lies/ ...
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes they did write directly to her and said everything you said. Although how they expect a 16 year old to pay without telling their parents or commiting another crime I don't know

Comment

It is simply disgusting behaviour by RLP. Please have a read about on here and ask any questions, we can only try and support you ( both) through this - it will go on for a while. Thankfully they don't appear to have moved into the phone calls business so should just be a few letters, but ensure you daughter knows they are bluff and bluster and to keep you in the loop with things. It's good she has a supportive parent, some kids who end up with these letter don't and it is utterly terrifying for them.

You could raise a complaint with Trading Standards ( via Consumer Finance - Citizens Advice ) too, as the letters are misleading and I think they would be classed as aggressive. And every complaint helps.

They will probably tell you to write to RLP (or even pay them - depending who you speak to at CAB ) but I'd recommend against that, it'd just help to have a complaint on the system for trying to get Trading Standards to take notice and at least investigate the business practices of this company.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Pleased to see you are supporting her shes paid with the Order that's the ed of it un law ignore RLPs threats and get her to put this behind her.
            take some time to read up on RLP aand you will see how they threatnen and harrass

Comment

Whilst agreeing with most of the above I'm concerned with some of the comments regarding the CRO.

For a CRO to be issued the youth concerned has to have admitted the incident, but Post 1 states OP's daughter has denied any wrong doing and the police believed her story. So why was CRO issued?
              Also, although it is not classed as a conviction, it is recorded on the Police National Computer as a recordable event (theft). It is not disclosed on a standard DBS check but might be disclosed as part of an enhanced check in the "relevant information" section i.e. the offence has a bearing on the kind of work being applied for.

Comment

We must accept that the CRO was correctly issued if the OPs parents have doubts they must contact the Police

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X