• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Sub Contractors Demolished wall and deny it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Sub Contractors Demolished wall and deny it!

Hi I came across this website via a search and I hope I am posting in the correct place.

This morning the council sub contractors that were repairing the road reversed twice into my wall and demolished it.

I was out at the time and my children and neighbours saw it.

The workmen said it was due to vibrations that the wall fell over!

They are denying everything.

One of the workmen threatened me also.

I called the police and they did nothing.

How do I progress this and does anyone know if legal aid is available for this.

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Council Sub Contractors Demolished wall and deny it!

Deal with the organ grinder, not the monkey

Contact the local authority first thing on monday

Take a shed load of photographs

How do you know they reversed into the wall if you were out?

Will your neighbours give a statement they witnessed the wall being hit?
    Last edited by judgemental24; 17th October 2015, 15:41:PM.

Comment

And, no, you won't get legal aid.

Comment

Yes the neighbours will give a statement.

Do I complain to the council or the subcontractor?

On the councils website it says they are not liable for subcontractors.

- - - Updated - - -

Also should the police have done anything?

They did attend.

Surely I should get the insurance details.

Comment

Any company who employes sub contactors will be liable as they are operating on their instructions.

What normally happens is you claim off the council insurance, the council will then claim off the sub contarctors public liability insurance

I would give your own buildings insurance company a ring as they will deal with this on your behalf

That is why you pay the premiums, make them work for it

Comment

My concern is this. On the council website it states that they are not responsible for sub contractors and claims should be sent straight to them.

Is that just the council trying to get out of their responsibilities?

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the advice and have never had this happen to me hence the questions to get all the facts about my rights.

Comment

As i said the ultimate responsibility will be with the local authority as they employed the sub contractors to do the work

Give you buildings insurance company a bell for advice

Comment

I will give you an example and not go off topic

I was stopped by Tesco gestapo 5 years ago. The accused me of stealing. I refused to go into that back room and in full view of customers by the door and waited for the old bill to arrive. Of course i was innocent and the old bill left. I put in a complaint to TESCO and they said the security were contractors and any complaint was against them

Put simply through the actions of Tesco employing outside security guards i was subjected to a civil wrong (Tort) and entitled to redress

I used my old favourite

"Vicarious Liability"

This placed strict libility on Tesco for the actions of their agents (Security)

Case was settled by mutual consent order to my satisfaction

Comment

Hi Judgemental many thanks for the explanation.

I am currently trying to find the buildings insurance documents to see what is covered and find the claims number.

Comment

If your buildings policy doesn't cover boundary walls, you might have Legal Expenses cover (with either buildings or contents cover) which might help you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X