• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sapphire v Cabot (Monument Card)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire v Cabot (Monument Card)

I've just dug this one out from my reams of files as I have had a couple of letters from our old friends Cabot.

I sent them a CCA 1974 request on 1 November 2006 the 12 days was up on 13 November 2006 and the 42 days in total 13 December 2006.
    I had the same old standard response from them ie it will take approx 8 weeks to get the paperwork etc etc.
    They actually sent me a copy of the agreement on 15 March 2007 errrrrrr too late I think guys.
    Letter 19 April 2007 - why havn't I responded ?

Letter 14 March 2008

Your Query,
    We refer to your recent letter regarding this account.
    We note that you have written again to request a copy of the application form for this account but you make no reference to our previous letters.
    A copy of the application for was sent to you in April 2007 and further letters requested confirmation that you had received this.
    Please find enclosed another copy of the application form for this account.
    If you still dispute ownership of this account, we will need proof of address for July 2003 in the form of a copy of a tenancy agreement, utility bill, bank statement or an official document.
    However if you now recall this account, please contact us to discuss a suitable repayment place that is in line with your current financial situation.

I ignored it.

Letter dated 26 March 2008

This one is about repaying the account etc.

Re: Sapphire v Cabot (Monument Card)

Now considering it took them 5 months to send a copy of the application form, and the rules say they have 12 days to comply and after 42 days the agreement becomes unenforceable unless they explain to a judge why they didn't comply with the request, which we all know they won't do anyway, then I think this letter is due to send to them.

I refer to my letters dated XXXXXXXX which was delivered via recorded delivery to your offices on 3 November 2006, and my follow up letter dated 19 April 2007.

In my letter 1 November 2006 made a formal request for a copy of the signed, executed credit agreement for the above numbered XXXXXXXX account under section 77(1) and section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. In addition a statement of my account should have been sent along with any other document mentioned in the credit agreement.

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, Your company commit an offence. These time limits expired on 13 November 2006 and 13 December 2006 respectively.

As you are no doubt aware subsection (6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and
    (b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at 13 December 2006 this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

Any default notices or adverse comments your company have recorded on my credit reference file should be immediately removed.

Failure to respond favourably to this letter within seven (7) days of receipt will result in immediate litigation being commenced against your company without further notice.

I await your rapid response.

Yours Faithfully

Comment

Have they send you a valid CCA now?

Comment

They sent one in April 2007 but like I said it was somewhat late.

Comment

Doesn't matter hunny if you have it its valid. However in first letter they say they sent you the application form so might be worthwhile you posting up a scan to have a look at.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Ok so I'm losing the plot big-time pmsl. Jeeez when will I get my head back together ?
            Anyway here's the scan, AND i've remembered to blank out the personal bits.

Comment

Good god that is a really really dire CCA if ever there was one lol.

did they send you the T&C's that they have asked you to sign that you have read - I suspect most of the prescribed info will be in those??

soooooooooooooooooo
              I think a letter offering minimum monthly payment, interest frozen and requesting full T&C pertaining to the agreeement - and that you don't acknowledge the debt you arr making minimal payments as a gesture of goodwill whilst they find the correct information, and give a deadline say August................

Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd April 2008, 09:14:AM.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hows about this:

Dear .................

Ref: .....................

Thank you for your communication dated 26 March 2008 and I note your comments within.

If interest or other charges are being added to the account I would be grateful if you would freeze these so that all payments made will reduce the figure owed.

I also require that you supply me with the full Terms & Conditions pertaining to this agreement.

I do not acknowledge this debt , but as a gesture of goodwill I would like to offer a minimum monthly payment of £10, until you provide me with all the information that I require. In order that I can start payment I require you to supply me with full bankings details in order that I can set up a BACS payment.

I will give you until the 1st August 2008 to comply with my request.

Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Comment

Needs a bit of rearranging which I'll do in a sec, just got to sort my mummy out. brb.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                    Hows about this:

Dear .................

Ref: .....................

Thank you for your letter dated 26 March 2008. Your comments have been noted.

I do not acknowledge this debt. The document you have sent to me is nothing more than a simple reply card to a marketing thingy (oh help whats the word !!!) and does not comply with the Consumer Credit Act (Agreements) 2006 in that it does not contain the prescribed terms in relation to running credit agreements. I therefore require that you supply me with the full signed Terms & Conditions pertaining to this agreement.

However, in the interests of goodwill, and in acknowledgement that I appear to have been making payments to you for this account previously, I would like to offer a monthly payment of £10, until such time as you provide me with all the information that I require. If interest or other charges are being added to the account I would be grateful if you would freeze these so that all payments made will reduce the figure owed. I also require a full breakdown of this account since its inception to be sent to me forthwith.

In order that I can start payment I require you to supply me with full banking details in order that I can set up a BACS payment.

Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok its been agreed the missing word was 'Literature'

Letter done and posted off today.

Thanks Ame hun !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                        I do not acknowledge this debt , but as a gesture of goodwill I would like to offer a minimum monthly payment of £10,
                        Surely by paying them you are acknowledging the debt, or am i missing something here.

Comment

Do they acknowledge their charges are fair when they give you a `gesture of goodwill` refund?

Offering to make minimum payments is recommended, if Monument DO come back with a valid CCA and it goes to court then this will look favourable for Sapph with the Judge.
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

HIYA SAPPHIRE. GUESS WHO's back (Oops. Caps lock on)

Although I agree with Tools, I'd say the chances of them finding an agreement is likely to be zilch. If they had one, they'd have found it by now. And lets face it, we all KNOW these application forms were treated as the agreement, so no way willl there be a valid CCA. What they sent, is what they'd hve to rely on in court, IMVHO.
                            My Blog
                            http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Yes it is (ie I agree with you), and if they take her to court she has her reasonableness as back up - considering her overall financial situation this is important.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X