• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private Sale of Car - Buyer threatens legal action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Sale of Car - Buyer threatens legal action

Dear forum,

Some 2 weeks ago I had my late fathers car advertised on autotrader for sale.
    It was bought by a chap who claimed he was an independant buyer contracted by VW to purchase cars on their behalf.

The chap arrived and inspected the car and paid in cash at my bank.

Some 2 weeks later I got a call from him advising that there was damage to the underside of the car
    and that if excessive, he had the legal right to pursue me for the recovery of the cost of the vehicle.

I sold this car in good faith and had no idea of any damage. As stated it was my late fathers who passed in January.

Is the law on the buyers side ? What can he do ?

I am now quite worried about this and would appreciate any advice.

The car was a 2013 and virtually unused with very very low miles.

It is possible that my Dad caused the damage but I do not know and he never told me about it.

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Private Sale of Car - Buyer threatens legal action

No need to worry
    It was a private sale and the purchaser examined the vehicle before concluding the contract.

In any case, damage 2 weeks after he took the car ............ perhaps he did it.

On the basis of your post there's nowt he can do.
    If he tries come back here.

Someone tried a similar trick on my daughter a couple of years ago, and even issued a court claim.
    It was discontinued at mediation stage as buyer had no case.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply.

It has for the time being set my mind at ease.

The buyer said he was going to have the vehicle jigged to determine if the chassis was bent and if it was
      he was then saying he would take legal action. I am more than certain that it has never been involved in an accident on the road so fingers crossed this will blow over.

If not I will come back as you suggest.

Many thanks.

Rocket

Comment

Well the chap has replied and the good news is that the damage is not significant enough to warrant his pursuit legally.

The bad news is that there is damage to the sum of £600 that could well have been caused by my late father and most likely has.

He has asked for me to cover the repair or to take the car back.

Comment

He is pushing his luck. Caveat Emptor and all that. He examined, was happy and paid and took it away. End of story. He can try threatening legal action but he wouldn't get anywhere.

He could have done the damage himself, who knows. It was all right when he examined it.

If you feel guilty then offer without prejudice or admitting any liability, say half the cost. Was the price of the car correct or was it below the usual price and he got a good bargain?

Comment

Thanks ostell,

The car was advertised for 12 and sold for 11, the chap is in the trade and buys for resale.

In all honesty this could well have been caused by my late father as he drove it off his patio by mistake and the damage described is consistent with my dads actions.

I beleive the chap is telling the truth and this is not a ploy.

Comment

Whether or not your father caused the damage is not the point.
              As a private sale he had the opportunity to examine the car and then bought it "as is".
              If he is in the trade it makes it even more his own fault as he is the "professional".
              If it was me I'd be telling him to go forth and................ (you know the rest!)
              There is no legal reason for you to meet his demands,

Comment

Save your money - private sale is sold as seen - He has no redress.

Comment

I think the guy has been "fibbing" from the start. From your original statement I can't imagine someone being contracted by VW to buy cars on their behalf.

I wasn't asking what price you had advertised the car at, more what price are similar cars being advertised at. If yours was less than this then he was getting a bargain. He's dropped you by £1,000 already and wants to get it down another £600.

If he's in the trade he knows darn well that he hasn't a hope of getting this successfully through court (perhaps others have managed to be successful against him as a trader).

Comment

Sounds like he is your normal chancer forget it unless a properly worded LBA arrives.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I shall adivse my position if and when he calls back and let you know the outcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X