• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group need help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group need help!!

Hi Everyone,
    My first time on here so I hope I've posted correctly.
    I have had an Mbna card for many years and for the last few years the balance had just gone up and up 😁
    I was at the point where my payments were £350 a month so I rang them up to tell them I could not afford to pay this! They allowed me to pay £67 a month which I have been doing so for the last 10 months.
    I received a letter a couple of days ago from PRA claiming they have required the debt from Mbna ( I've not been told this by Mbna but one of the letters from PRA in the same envelope was from Mbna telling me they had passed it on to PRA)
    I'm just wondering if they'd accept the same amounts or will they try and get more money from me?? The amount I owe is £13200 😩😫
    Thanks
    Belle
    Tags: None

Re: PRA Group need help!!

I also owe £8000 for a Barclays credit card which I'm paying £69 a month but I've had a letter asking me to ring them to discuss the matter, it's been a year since they allowed me to pay that amount a month. I also have a loan for £10,000 which I have 2 years left to pay, I pay £200 a month for that.
    I'm just wondering if I should go to a debt management organisation and get them to help me as I reckon Barclays will prob not be happy with me carrying on paying £69?
    Thanks
    Belle

Comment

Originally posted by Belle123 View Post
      Hi Everyone,
      My first time on here so I hope I've posted correctly.
      I have had an Mbna card for many years and for the last few years the balance had just gone up and up
      I was at the point where my payments were £350 a month
      so I rang them up to tell them I could not afford to pay this! They allowed me to pay £67 a month which I have been doing so for the last 10 months.
      Hi and welcome to LB

Same here, MBNA increased the interest rate to a whooping 36% in 2009 :rant: :mad2: so I just stopped paying them in 2010! :grin:

Any idea how old your MBNA card is? Was it always an MBNA card or was it one of them cards they bought from other banks like the Abby? Mine was a 20 year old A&L card.

I received a letter a couple of days ago from PRA claiming they have required the debt from Mbna ( I've not been told this by Mbna but one of the letters from PRA in the same envelope was from Mbna telling me they had passed it on to PRA)
      I'm just wondering if they'd accept the same amounts or will they try and get more money from me??
      They can try to ask for more but you have no obligation to pay more, you're paying quite a lot as it is!

It may be an idea to send a CCA request and see what they come up with.
      The amount I owe is £13200
      Was there PPI?

Comment

I also owe £8000 for a Barclays credit card which I'm paying £69 a month but I've had a letter asking me to ring them to discuss the matter,
        They all want you to ring them hone: :cell: but that's not a good idea, you should keep it all in writing. For a start, if you ring them, you'll get through to a trained monkey who will only ask you to pay more as that's all they'd be trained to do. :rant:
        it's been a year since they allowed me to pay that amount a month. I also have a loan for £10,000 which I have 2 years left to pay, I pay £200 a month for that.
        I'm just wondering if I should go to a debt management organisation and get them to help me as I reckon Barclays will prob not be happy with me carrying on paying £69?
        Sounds like you are paying enough to all your creditors and you need to look after yourself and your family. Your purpose in life shouldn't be to make Barclays happy! Happy or not, you can only pay what you can afford. There's no reason to use a third party to arrange payments for you, you seem to be doing quite well. :thumb:

If it was me I'd be hitting everyone with a CCA request. It is your lawful right to request a copy of your credit agreement under ss.77-78 of the Consumer Credit Act. That way at least you'll know whose paperwork is better so you can focus your re$ource$ there. You'll find the letter here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...y-of-Agreement (Ignore the 2007 post date, it's been updated).

How long ago did you take out the card and loan?

Comment

I know my Mbna card was deff before 2005 as I claimed ppi on it and remember reading if it was pre 2005 you were not given the option for the insurance!
          I've read a few dca's on this forum and just wondered why Mbna didn't send me the letter first to inform me but sent it to PRA to forward with their letter?
          Can I still ask for a cca request even though I acknowledge the debt?
          Thank you so much guys for replying, I'm scared of the dca 😁 and what they can do 😩

Belle

- - - Updated - - -

It's always been an Mbna card and the loan was taken out 3 years ago, 2 years left on it.
          Belle

- - - Updated - - -

Also the letter was dated 2nd oct and I received it on the 8th, is there a certain time limit they need to receive a letter asking for the cca?
          Belle

Comment

I know my Mbna card was deff before 2005 as I claimed ppi on it and remember reading if it was pre 2005 you were not given the option for the insurance!
            That's good news. :grin:
            I've read a few dca's on this forum and just wondered why Mbna didn't send me the letter first to inform me but sent it to PRA to forward with their letter?
            It's not uncommon for both letters to be sent at the same time, one says good-bye and the other one hello.
            Can I still ask for a cca request even though I acknowledge the debt?
            Yes, the CCA request has nothing to do with acknowledging the debt, you have the right to request it as long as there's a balance outstanding on the account and no judgment has been obtained, regardless of whether you are paying of not.
            Thank you so much guys for replying, I'm scared of the dca and what they can do
            They can't do anything a bank or any other creditor can't. Most of the time they just bark loudly. :beagle:

It's always been an Mbna card and the loan was taken out 3 years ago, 2 years left on it.
            Ah, so you haven't defaulted on the loan. Probably no need to send a CCA request for this one then.
            Also the letter was dated 2nd oct and I received it on the 8th, is there a certain time limit they need to receive a letter asking for the cca?
            Belle
            No, a CCA request can be sent at any time. :thumb:

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll do that.
              I'm happy to carry on paying the loan, I really couldn't cope having another dca taking it over, I will have to see what barclaycard say when I ring them 🙏
              I'll get the CCA sent off to PRA.
              Does anyone know if they are reasonable or scary?
              Thanks
              Belle

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll do that.
                I'm happy to carry on paying the loan, I really couldn't cope having another dca taking it over, I will have to see what barclaycard say when I ring them
                Don't ring them! :nono: Keep it all in writing.

It may sound silly but I can quote an extreme example of what happens when things are dealt with over the phone: there was someone on another site who defaulted on a loan in 2000 and agreed a repayment plan. The creditor agreed to freeze interest. The poster in question kept the direct debit running and then one day in 2012, they got a statement for £24k! :scared: :scared: :scared: It turns out they'd been adding interest throughout those 12 years! As it had all been done over the phone, there was no paperwork.

Once upon a time I decided to settle a small debt by making a debit card payment over the phone, in response to one of them 'generous' offer letters they send you. The DCA was Aktiv Kapital (now the PRA Group) and they kept sending me regular letters demanding the balance they'd promised to write off when I made the payment over the phone. :mad2: :mad2:

I'll get the CCA sent off to PRA.
                Does anyone know if they are reasonable or scary?
                Thanks
                Belle
                'Reasonable' isn't a word I'd use to describe them. The PRA Group haven't been around very long under that name but if you search around for Aktiv Kapital or AK, well, as they say, "seek and ye shall find"! :mmph:

Comment

Oh god 😁
                  Thanks
                  Belle

Comment

Hi,
                    Do I need to print the CAA out or can I write it?
                    Also will it ruffle PRA's feathers more by me asking for proof, I'm just worried I'm going to make things worse by asking for a CAA?
                    Thanks
                    Belle

Comment

Hi,
                      Do I need to print the CAA out or can I write it?
                      Also will it ruffle PRA's feathers more by me asking for proof, I'm just worried I'm going to make things worse by asking for a CAA?
                      Thanks
                      Belle
                      You are entitled to ask for information via the provisions of CCA 1974, it matters not what PRA may think.
                      It's better to print the request, but you can handwrite if you are unable to print.

A word of caution use a cheque or postal order for the statutory fee, endorse it " For Statutory Fee Only".
                      Use signed for post check delivery date the 12 +2 Working Days starts then.

nem

Comment

Ok, Thankyou.
                        I think I need to get that sent off and stop reading other things, I'm panicking about being taken to court by the dca, is this normal practise for them?
                        Thanks
                        Belle

Comment

Ok, Thankyou.
                          I think I need to get that sent off and stop reading other things, I'm panicking about being taken to court by the dca, is this normal practise for them?
                          Thanks
                          Belle
                          The Debt Purchase/Debt Collection " Industry" is I think more litigious than it's ever been!
                          Please try not to stress over the " possibility " of this getting as far as a hearing there's a
                          fair way to go yet!

Even if this does go forward the Small Claims Court is somewhat less formal than the higher
                          courts, hearings are usually heard in " Chambers " ( the judges office) just the judge, you and
                          the claimants legal representative no jury, no robes, no wigs.

nem

Comment

Ok Thankyou,
                            Belle

Comment

Ok Thankyou,
                              Belle
                              Happy to help!!
                              Keep us posted on developments please.
                              nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X