• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Our builder damaged a water authority sewer pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our builder damaged a water authority sewer pipe

Can the water authority hold me liable because a builder we had working for us, damaged a sewage pipe, that the water authority was responsible for and later repaired.

Or should they instead hold the builder liable and try to retrieve theirs costs from him or his insurance.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Our builder damaged a water authority sewer pipe

To be honest and in my opinion i would say yes, you will be liable

The builder has been contracted by you so you are ultimately respnsible for his actions

It will be then down to you to claim against the builder for negligence

You need to let your insurance company deal with this

Comment

Originally posted by Stevecon99 View Post
      Can the water authority hold me liable because a builder we had working for us, damaged a sewage pipe, that the water authority was responsible for and later repaired.

Or should they instead hold the builder liable and try to retrieve theirs costs from him or his insurance.

Thanks
      Is the water company actually pursing payment for this, it would usually be on the grounds that
      the builder was your agent and you are responsible for their actions.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Is the water company actually pursing payment for this, it would usually be on the grounds that
        the builder was your agent and you are responsible for their actions.

nem
        Thanks for the comments.

Originally the water authority said it was the builder they would pursue for costs, but now we've been told they hold us liable. They are checking the cost and will let us know if it's high enough to pursue us.

Our builders position is that he did nothing wrong.

Comment

Does not matter as he was directl;y responsible under your instructon to carry out the work

You need to contact your insurance company, they will claim of his own public liability insurance as a trader

Comment

Originally posted by Stevecon99 View Post
            Thanks for the comments.

Originally the water authority said it was the builder they would pursue for costs, but now we've been told they hold us liable. They are checking the cost and will let us know if it's high enough to pursue us.

Our builders position is that he did nothing wrong.
            I think morally the builder should compensate you for at least
            some of the costs if it ends up with you having to pay.
            Was the sewer pipe running under your property, were you
            aware it was there?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
              I think morally the builder should compensate you for at least
              some of the costs if it ends up with you having to pay.
              Was the sewer pipe running under your property, were you
              aware it was there?

nem
              The pipe was running under our land ( but the water authority are responsible for it), neither us or our builder knew it was running where it was. The builder told the water authority that he had not damage it, so it may be difficult to get him to take responsibility.

Comment

Do not try and handle this yourself

Contact your building insurers, that is what you pay them for

Comment

Good point!

Comment

Speaking generally (not having seen your policy wordings):
                    You should contact your building insurers if the pipe work serviced your property as it is accidental damage, or your contents insurers if the pipe work
                    does not service your property and is the utility companies responsibility as your claim will fall under the liability section.
                    Hopefully your buildings and contents are insured under the same policy and you won't have a problem.

Before anyone refers me to the liability section of the buildings policy, I would point out that generally covers the owner's liability, not the occupier's.
                    The occupier's liability is usually an extension of contents policy.

Comment

Thanks for the details. I don't relish the idea of trying to get money back from the builder, so the idea of getting the insurance company to handle it all sounds like a good solution.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X