• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New parking laws starting Monday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New parking laws starting Monday

New parking regulations take effect on Monday which could see offending motorists receiving parking tickets by post.
    ]The move includes the name "parking attendants" being changed to "civil enforcement officers", larger fines for some offences and lower ones for others.
    Those enforcing the laws are also being encouraged only to wheelclamp persistent offenders, with clamping being used only as a last resort.
    The new regulations will also mean councils outside London can, for the first time, use CCTV cameras to enforce parking rules.
    The parking and traffic enforcement councils have set up a "one-stop shop" - in the form of a website called Patrol for those wanting information or wanting to pay or challenge a parking fine.
    A new adjudication service, the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, will hear challenges against parking tickets.
    Transport minister Rosie Winterton said: "Parking rules exist to help beat congestion and improve road safety. These regulations will help make parking enforcement fairer, clearer and more open."
    Under the new framework, local authorities should ensure that parking attendants have clear evidence that a vehicle was parked in contravention of rules before issuing a penalty charge notice.
    The AA has issued a set of "10 Commandments" to accompany the new regulations, saying the new rules should not become an excuse to raise revenue, and that targets for fines income or the number of tickets issued should not be set.
    Councillor David Sparks, transport spokesman for the Local Government Association, said: "Everyone hates congestion and delays to their journey, and the new regulations will help councils deliver more effective parking management to improve traffic flow and make the roads safer for everybody."

Re: New parking laws starting Monday

What does the AA say about the changes?
    • The AA believes that civil parking enforcement has brought benefits in terms of improved compliance and thus better use of limited space and improved traffic safety.
    • Some councils have however have been bad and unfair in dealing with people and have used civil enforcement as a revenue generator rather than parking control measure.
    • The AA welcomes the revised guidance on wheel clamping.
    • The changes go some way to addressing motorists concerns, for example lesser penalties for minor offences, but also allow scope for some councils to exploit the new powers for example, by unnecessarily issuing penalties by post. The AA does not want to see enforcement officers hiding around corners dishing tickets out by post rather than high profile deterrence on street.
    • It is right that adjudicators are given more teeth to deal with bad councils and it is right that those who loose informal appeals should still be allowed to pay the penalty at the discounted rate, up to 28 days.
    • The government is eager to ensure that all councils adopt high standards when dealing with parking enforcement and the administration and 'customer care' relating to this. If you have an example where the new regulations or statutory guidance (after 1 April 2008) are being abused please let us know (mail toublicaffairs@theaa.com) and we'll ensure the Transport Minister is alerted. We can't investigate or intervene directly in all cases but will ensure the information is passed on.
    • It is too early to say whether the changes will take civil enforcement to a new better level but the AA will be watching closely.
    • There will be limited chaos during the transition as councils try to cope with reprinting paperwork in time and training staff in the new system. There will also be more appeals as, whilst the changes are mostly welcomed, the changes will create some error and misunderstanding.
    The new penalties

Serious offence Lesser offence London1 £120 (£60) £80 (£40) Outside London £70 (£35) £50 (£25)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have it from a reliable source that Councils are NOT ready & in the case of some it may be months before they are - if ever

Lets face it they had years to get it right the 1st time & most failed miserably - so who amongst us thinks they'll be any better at it now

Comment

Incidentally who decides what's serious & what's lesser! & anyway what is meant by "a serious offence" as apposed to "a lesser offence" cos I'm buggered if I know

Comment

Serious offence - me parking on double yellow lines for less than 5 mins and forgetting to put the disabled badges on the car, getting a ticket as I came back to car at exactly 6pm, clocking off time for wardens.
          Lesser offeence, not even bookable - the warden who had just booked me crossing the road to get into a car which was waiting for him, parked on/off pavement on double yellow lines, outside the off licence where he'd obviously stopped off on the way home from work!
          Is no longer here

Comment

You should have had a camera

Comment

Wish i had. he had though, took the obligatory photo of my car. I've appealed it anyway, it won't get through but will buy me some time.
              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X