• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Waiting to Exchange - Last minute hold up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting to Exchange - Last minute hold up!

Hello, I wonder if anyone in the know can help. We are waiting to exchange contracts and there is just a small chain. Everyone has signed their contracts, mortgage offers in place etc. But now our buyer's solicitors have advised there has been a failed environmental issue on their property and they are waiting to hear from the council regarding this. I don't know what the issue could be as it's not near any landfill areas, or radon. (I've done some research online). It's a 2 up 2 down newish property.

They have been chasing the local authority and it's taken over a week so far to come back. Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it's anything to worry about??
    Tags: None

Re: Waiting to Exchange - Last minute hold up!

Solicitors carry out certain searches on one of those searches could be a contaminated land search. Landowners and councils have certain duties in relation to contaminated land. If there is a problem in relation to this then it is usually best to first consult with the local council but I believe it is ultimately the landowner to ensure any issues are addressed. Contaminated land could mean something to do with soil or the water but not always.

Generally though, there is a small number of properties/land that will be considered contaminated under the relevant legislation. Not sure if it applies to your house but this can happen in instances where derelict/disused land as such has been re-developed for housing purposes.

So the only reason I can think of as to why things are being held up is that the council probably have records of some sort relating to the land the house and what the land was being used for and whether any contamination tests were done previously.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Waiting to Exchange - Last minute hold up!

Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X