• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED***County Court Claim from Lowell/Bryan Carter re Lloyds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: County Court Claim from Lowell/Bryan Carter re Lloyds

[MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] any advice on what we should do? Time is getting short for us to submit paperwork. Thanks

Comment

@Amethyst:

Comment

Just having a read back see if I can see your previous witness statement - have you had the agreement copy in the intervening period?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Ahh you never did one as it got struck out .... okay can you post your draft so far up pls. And let me know if anything has changed.... it doesn't sound like you've had anything but best to check xx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

We have had nothing at all from lowell or their solicitors since 01/04/16. Nothing has changed. We still have no idea how they managed to get the claim reinstated!

Here is the draft of the witness statement:

IN THE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No. XXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:
            XXXXXXXXXX
            Claimant
            - and –
            Defendant
            XXXXXXXXXX

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I XXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXX address XXXXXXXXXX being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. The matters set out below are within my own knowledge, except where I indicate to the contrary.

2. On 01/10/2015 I made a written request to the Claimant solicitors, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxx address xxxxxxxxxxxx requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of case.[EXHIBIT A]

3. On 01/10/2015 , I contacted the Claimants xxxxxxxxxxxxx

4: On 09/10/15 I received a letter [EXHIBIT B] from the Claimants stating that this claim will mist properly be allocated to the small claims track as this is a simple contractual matter and Part 31 if the Civil Procedure Rules will therefore not apply.

5: All correspondence from the Claimant and their solicitors have been sent to a previous address, despite them having been given my current address 01/10/15 except for one single letter sent 01/04/2016 advising of a change of acting solicitors.

6: This claim was previously struck out 09/12/2016 due to the claimants ongoing failure to pay the hearing fee despite having been given a length extension for this. I have had no correspondence from the Claimant ir their solicitors during this process or since 01/04/2016

7: Therefore I believe the claimant has been purposely obstructive in the process of making this claim which is for a debt which I hold to be statute barred.

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed: ________________________________

Dated:

Comment

[MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION]

Comment

[MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] please can you have a look at ghis as we really don't have long now to get this done. Thank you so much for your help so far ☺

Comment

Originally posted by Titania1980 View Post
                  We have had nothing at all from lowell or their solicitors since 01/04/16. Nothing has changed. We still have no idea how they managed to get the claim reinstated!

Here is the draft of the witness statement:

IN THE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No. XXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:
                  XXXXXXXXXX
                  Claimant
                  - and –
                  Defendant
                  XXXXXXXXXX

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I XXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXX address XXXXXXXXXX being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. The matters set out below are within my own knowledge, except where I indicate to the contrary.

2. On 01/10/2015 I made a written request to the Claimant solicitors, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxx address xxxxxxxxxxxx requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of case.[EXHIBIT A]

3. On 01/10/2015 , I contacted the Claimants xxxxxxxxxxxxx

4: On 09/10/15 I received a letter [EXHIBIT B] from the Claimants stating that this claim will mist properly be allocated to the small claims track as this is a simple contractual matter and Part 31 if the Civil Procedure Rules will therefore not apply.

5: All correspondence from the Claimant and their solicitors have been sent to a previous address, despite them having been given my current address 01/10/15 except for one single letter sent 01/04/2016 advising of a change of acting solicitors.

6: This claim was previously struck out 09/12/2016 due to the claimants ongoing failure to pay the hearing fee despite having been given a length extension for this. I have had no correspondence from the Claimant ir their solicitors during this process or since 01/04/2016

7: Therefore I believe the claimant has been purposely obstructive in the process of making this claim which is for a debt which I hold to be statute barred.

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed: ________________________________

Dated:
                  Hi not been around for a while I'll read through your WS and get back to you.

nem

Comment

So... we just got an email from Lowell offering a settlement for £2500. Looking at the records they have finally provided it shows the last payment in April 2009, with the only activity since then showing "CCD rebate". It seems that this proves the debt is statute barred... unless I'm misunderstanding.... any advice?

Comment

Sounds as though they are on the back foot - that's a hefty discount ( claim was £6k ?) - is the CCD rebate after Sept 2009 ?

The claim was issued September 2015 wasn't it, so if your last payment was April 2009 you should be okay on the statute barred front - the debt was originally a Loan - so there is likely to be a 2/3 month period before the terms allowed them to recall the entire debt, but even if they did argue that, it shouldn't take you to September.

Your original defence pleaded statute barring didn't it?

I think a response to Lowell may be in order inviting them to withdraw their claim due to the Stat Barred nature of the claim, their behaviour since issuing the claim in 2015, and of course turning down their offer to settle at £2.5k.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ahh what other records have they provided ? and was that in the same email or with their witness statement? Have they sent you their witness statement ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes, the ccd rebate was in January 2010. Would that impact on the statute barred status? Our defence was the statue barring as we were fairly sure it was. We will try to put together a response to Lowell ad see what happens! Still working on the witness statement just in case though... just waiting on some feedback on that lol

- - - Updated - - -

They haven't sent a witness statement. They have sent payment records, a summary of account and a notice of assignment.

Comment

So... we just got an email from Lowell offering a settlement for £2500. Looking at the records they have finally provided it shows the last payment in April 2009, with the only activity since then showing "CCD rebate". It seems that this proves the debt is statute barred... unless I'm misunderstanding.... any advice?
                            Hello Titania

Provided there has been no other payments or written acknowledgments in that 6 year period the debt is possibly stat barred But when was the account defaulted, Lowell will claim that the date of default would have started the relevant 6 year period.

nem

Comment

Just double checked and it shows the last successful payment they took was actually November 2008!!

- - - Updated - - -
                              [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] default date is showing June 2009

Comment

Yes, the ccd rebate was in January 2010. Would that impact on the statute barred status? Our defence was the statue barring as we were fairly sure it was. We will try to put together a response to Lowell ad see what happens! Still working on the witness statement just in case though... just waiting on some feedback on that lol

- - - Updated - - -

They haven't sent a witness statement. They have sent payment records, a summary of account and a notice of assignment.
                                Okay I'll have a look over what you've got so far - do you know the default date on the account ? Is it still on your credit file ( just as an idea for when it might have defaulted )

No agreement yet either?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X