• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

clamp removed - arrested-released-innocent!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: clamp removed - arrested-released-innocent!

ok show me a law that says you cannot take your car off the clamp. Clamp off car means undoing lock or damaging the clamp / car off clamp means jack up undo bottom ball joint clamp falls off ! no damage to clamp, ring up clampers tell them to come and get their clamp before someone else does
    p.s ive done it! back to you Milo or anyone else

Comment

In response to my own question I have found section 68.2 of Schedule 12 (TCEA 2007).
      This states:
      (2
      A person is guilty of an offence if he intentionally interferes with controlled goods without lawful excuse.

So it appears that even if control of the goods is unlawful, the owner needs a damned good excuse to remove the clamp. The fact that the goods are controlled (even if incorrectly) would not be sufficient excuse to remove clamp.

Comment

There is also the tort of wrongful interference with goods
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

"controlled goods" is an agreement between bailiffs and a debter. I would'nt make such agreement. removing clamp is'nt the same as removing the car from the clamp. I know some people don't like loopholes exposed but i do. Understanding the law works both ways.

"There is also the tort of wrongful interference with goods" A claim would have to be made for damage, if there is no damage there is no claim.

There is no law that says you cannot remove a car from a clamp. stop saying removing the clamp. If i was asked did you remove the clamp from the car i would reply no definitely not, I removed the car from the clamp. in fact i would say i removed a part of my car which i am entitled to do and the clamp fell away, undamaged.
          Last edited by suffering; 10th January 2016, 00:18:AM.

Comment

There are two different sets of rules here:
            i)Criminal damage .................. no damage = no crime, so by all means remove clamp without damaging it
            ii) interference with controlled goods............ if the court has ordered that control of the goods be enforced it is not a controlled goods agreement which one is at liberty to refuse.

Comment

Simplified Tommy Cooper style, Clamp car, car clamp, he he he, car off clamp, just like that!
              A man walks into a cafe and orders a cake the cake arrives on a plate, the plate belongs to the cafe the cake belongs to the man. The man removes the plate and goes to walk out the door hey! that plate belongs to the cafe you are breaking the law the man drops the plate and it breaks the man has to pay for the plate as he has damaged it. On the other hand (or was it this one) the man takes the cake off the plate damages the cake by biting it, no law broken. Which proves you can have your cake and eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                In response to my own question I have found section 68.2 of Schedule 12 (TCEA 2007).
                This states:
                (2
                A person is guilty of an offence if he intentionally interferes with controlled goods without lawful excuse.

So it appears that even if control of the goods is unlawful, the owner needs a damned good excuse to remove the clamp. The fact that the goods are controlled (even if incorrectly) would not be sufficient excuse to remove clamp.
                Excellent response and 100% correct.

The legislation is under section 68 of Schedule 12 and states as follows:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ces?view=plain

• A person is guilty of an offence if he intentionally obstructs a person lawfully acting as an enforcement agent.
                • A person is guilty of an offence if he intentionally interferes with controlled goods without lawful excuse.

A person guilty of an offence under this paragraph is liable on summary conviction to-

• Imprisonment for a term not exceeding 51 weeks, or
                • A fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale, or
                • Both

Comment

Wrongful interference with goods does not require damage. It comes under several heads of claim, one of them being negligence if the goods are damaged, however the one I refer to is trespass to goods. The definition of this is unauthorised interference with goods - there does not need be a requirement to damage the goods. A person must deliberately interfere with another's goods and this can include removing, touching or in your case lock picking. So whilst you might have got away with criminal charges the bailiffs could if they wished to do so bring a civil claim for interference.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Taking my above post into consideration, it makes no difference whether the car has been released from the clamp or the clamp released from the car. Either way, it is an offence to inferfere with controlled goods.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ces?view=plain

Comment

I disagree not 100% at all, 1. For your argument to work you would need the goods to be proven to be controlled. I.E on a list of controlled goods signed by the person who owns the goods
                      2. Neither a car or clamp is a person
                      3. The law is there to be interpreted, no one has ever been convicted of removing a car from a clamp, There i rest my case
                      Last edited by suffering; 10th January 2016, 10:36:AM.

Comment

Controlled goods are only controlled if either a court or a owner has agreed to such so just as you assume goods are controlled i am assuming they are not! just as i am assuming you are a clamper or bailiff
                        Further more there is a big difference from a car being removed from a clamp, p.s i am not a lock picker i would'nt have a clue how to pick a lock but i am city of guilds level 4 technician motor mechanic, so i know how one nut removes a car (yes there is a pun there)

Comment

I asked a question, which I managed to answer myself.
                          I actually read the act and the regulations, (which I should have done prior to asking dumb questions!)

If you had done your research you would know my background and not cast aspersions on my occupation!

My apologies to OP if the thread has gone off topic

Comment

Just for the record i'd been looking for this

The Vehicle Excise Duty (Immobilisation, Removal and Disposal of Vehicles) Regulations 1997

You are here:

This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.

Removal of or interference with immobilisation notice or device

7.—(1) An immobilisation notice shall not be removed or interfered with except by or under the authority of an authorised person.(2) A person contravening paragraph (1) shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.(3) Any person who, without being authorised to do so in accordance with regulation 6, removes or attempts to remove an immobilisation device fixed to a vehicle in accordance with these Regulations is guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Comment

And This, which makes my original idea risky to say the least
                              Removal of vehicles

9.—(1) This regulation applies where an authorised person has reason to believe that an offence under section 29(1) of the 1994 Act—
                              (a)
                              is being committed as regards a vehicle which is stationary on a public road in England or in Wales; or

(b)
                              was being committed as regards a vehicle at a time when an immobilisation device which is fixed to the vehicle was fixed to it in accordance with these Regulations and the conditions prescribed in paragraph (2) are fulfilled.

(2) The conditions are—
                              (a)
                              24 hours have elapsed since the device was fixed to the vehicle, and

(b)
                              the vehicle has not been released in accordance with these Regulations.

(3) In a case where this regulation applies, the authorised person or a person acting under his direction, may remove the vehicle and deliver it to a person authorised by the Secretary of State to keep vehicles so removed in his custody (in these Regulations called a “custodian”).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X