• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on wording of letter to Autoglass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on wording of letter to Autoglass

Hello all,

I would like to ask for your advice regarding a long standing issue with Autoglass / Belron and a warranty claim with them after a windscreen replacement. I am now forced to carry out the repairs from my own pocket now, but wanted to ensure I can get this recovered - along with all the time wasting they have caused me.

In short -

In March - I had a windscreen crack which forced a screen replacement - a claim for this was made through my insurance company Aviva. This was carried out just fine.
    Two weeks later - a stone chipped the screen which was just to the left of bottom centre of the screen. A call into Aviva for another windscreen repair was made. Engineer visited and said the repair was borderline but agreed to do it.
    Two weeks further on from the repair, the chip failed into a large crack, during a cold snap. This is where the problems begin!

I placed a warranty claim directly with Autoglass, who said they would order a new screen and a warranty based technician would be booked to do the replacement.
    This appointment was a no-show - due to the glass not being at my local depot.

Fast forward over the summer, since March I have had in total 5 attempts where Autoglass have arranged appointments and promised the glass is in the local depot - and each time has not been and the work not carried out.

I am now compounded to involve another windscreen fitter to complete the work as my MOT is due October 1, and I cannot be without the vehicle. In a final attempt to have Autoglass / Aviva rectify the situation I was promised a callback yesterday, but of course this does not materialise.

Aviva recommended using another glass company (in fact they also partner with National Windscreens now) however they said that would be a further claim, and I would have to pay the £75 excess. The full cost of the replacement is ~£150 - so I am prepared to pay for this myself and claim this back from Autoglass or Aviva.

So - where I would like help is formulating a response to Aviva / Autoglass to recover the cost of the repair to Autoglass' failure to carry out the work. I would ideally like to include the wasted time I have suffered from Autoglass, which is 5 days at home (I am unable to have repairs carried out at my work premises), and the numerous calls, E-Mails I have already written which must add up to around 50-60 hours.

If someone could assist with this to ensure the most effective / efficient clout to either Aviva or Autoglass I would be most appreciative!

Thanks in advance

Jason
    Tags: None

Re: Advice on wording of letter to Autoglass

anyone that can help?

Comment

Re: Advice on wording of letter to Autoglass

Hi
      First replacement was insurance claim, and presumably you paid an excess?
      Next incident was a chip and insurers ordered a repair. Did you have to pay an excess for this?
      Screen then cracked from chip, and as covered by Autoglass warranty you entitled to free replacement.
      However due to Autoglass not keeping sufficient stocks the replacement is taking an unreasonable time..

I would suggest that as the repair was not satisfactory (as indicated by Autoglass agreeing to free replacement) AVIVA could be liable under Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
      As principals AVIVA are liable for the actions of their agents (Autoglass)
      The Act means that goods have to be fit and durable etc and supplied with reasonable care and skill.

IMO AVIVA should be arranging for a replacement screen within a reasonable time, not expecting you to make a new claim which would involve you paying another excess.
      Tell AVIVA that you are considering having the work carried out by a third party and then making a claim under said act.
      The claim will include all costs, direct and incidental, including loss of earnings due to their agents (AVIVA) not keeping appointments.

You might have a fight on your hands!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X