• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot taking me to court for debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot taking me to court for debt

Hi everyone. I have been getting letters through the door for some time now from Cabot chasing up debt from around a few years ago. I have never responded and recently got a letter through the door from the courts to do with this. Tomorrow is the expiry date so I'm going to go to the court tomorrow morning and hand it it, I'm choosing to defend the allegations. I've looked at a few threads on here trying to follow advice but I feel I'm deep in it and I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to do the wrong thing. Please help
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot taking me to court for debt

Hi and welcome aboard

I assume the claim would have been issued via the Northampton Bulk Centre, in which case you should be able to acknowledge it online, on the MCOL site, using the claim number and P/W printed on the claim form. You have 14 days from date of service to acknowledge the claim and if you can't do it online it can also be done by email so there's no need to rush anywhere.

Full instructions to acknowledge are here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...313#post499313

Once you do that, below are the steps to take upon receipt of a claim:

So, first steps (within 14 days of receiving the claim)

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
    This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)

Comment

Originally posted by Scotttough1 View Post
      Hi everyone. I have been getting letters through the door for some time now from Cabot chasing up debt from around a few years ago. I have never responded and recently got a letter through the door from the courts to do with this. Tomorrow is the expiry date so I'm going to go to the court tomorrow morning and hand it it, I'm choosing to defend the allegations. I've looked at a few threads on here trying to follow advice but I feel I'm deep in it and I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to do the wrong thing. Please help
      It would help if you could type up or scan and post up a redacted copy of the particulars of the claim. :typing:

It would also be useful to know a bit more about this debt:
      • what sort of account was it
      • who was the original creditor
      • how long ago did you last make a payment or written acknowledgment
      • when did you apply for the card/loan
      • how did you apply
      • anything else you can tell us

Comment

Thanks 😀
        I have tried to do this online but I'm not sure what the claim number and password are. I have a court ref no and a long ref no at the top of the first page but it will not accept any of these 😕
        The expiry date for this is actually tomorrow!! I live right next to the court so I could possibly hand it in??
        I can scan the documents as soon as I'm home from work to post up for you all to see also.
        Basically it's a bank loan from as they have stated " on or around 14th September 2009 " which was assigned to Cabot financial 25th February 2015 the sum 5926.14
        I can not remember when last payment was but it was not long after it was taken out, I have never got in touch with Cabot yet on the court letter it states that I made a payment to them on 31st March 2015 which is a lie. I took the loan out via a signed contract in the bank.
        Anything else you guys need to know? Thanks very much for the help this is much appreciated I was worried nobody would reply..

Comment

Thanks 
          I have tried to do this online but I'm not sure what the claim number and password are. I have a court ref no and a long ref no at the top of the first page but it will not accept any of these 
          The expiry date for this is actually tomorrow!! I live right next to the court so I could possibly hand it in?
          ?
          I'd ask which court you're talking about but I realise you may not want to post up where you live, however, it is possible that the court you live next door to is not the one where this claim was issued, most money claims are issued electronically via the bulk processing centre based in Northampton.
          I can scan the documents as soon as I'm home from work to post up for you all to see also.
          Would be a good idea to post them up, I'm intrigued to find a claim possibly not issued via the bulk centre. Does the claim look like this one here? http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...623#post452623
          Basically it's a bank loan from as they have stated " on or around 14th September 2009 " which was assigned to Cabot financial 25th February 2015 the sum 5926.14
          I can not remember when last payment was but it was not long after it was taken out, I have never got in touch with Cabot yet on the court letter it states that I made a payment to them on 31st March 2015 which is a lie. I took the loan out via a signed contract in the bank.
          Anything else you guys need to know? Thanks very much for the help this is much appreciated I was worried nobody would reply..
          If you took out the loan in September 2009, even if you never made a payment it still wouldn't have been SBd when the claim was issued, so Cabot may be barking up the wrong tree. It's also unusual for a claim to state when you made a payment, which is why we really need to see this court letter you've got. :confused2: :typing:

Comment

I'm sorry I'm doing this through my iPhone, what's the best way to show you all my documents on this page? I don't mind showing the full documents, address etc

Comment

Currently on my laptop should have the pics up soon everybody

Comment

this is the letter
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kati; 14th September 2015, 17:38:PM.

Comment

I'm sorry if I have put you all off with my lack of knowledge for using a computer 😐

Comment

That's OK, I see Kati removed your personal details from the documents. :yo:

I see now you are in Scotland, which is why you didn't receive the standard claim form from the Northampton Bulk Centre, which only has jurisdiction in England and Wales. In that case you're doing the right thing by lodging your notice of intention to defend with the court. :thumb:

Comment

Thank you. Sorry I should have stated that when I first started the conversation with you all. So in plain terms can you give me some advice on what exactly I should do?
                      Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X