• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Children's Rights when parent dies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's Rights when parent dies

Hi , we look after our niece under a Residence Order , granted in 2010 . Her mother died in 2007 , when our niece was 2yrs old , her parents (I am her paternal uncle) were not married when her mother died. My brother has since remarried and is trying to sell their house , which was paid for through an insurance policy when my niece's mother died.
    Where does my niece stand legally ? She is only 10yrs old so we are trying to protect her interests but are not sure if she has any claim on the property. Please help
    Tags: None

Re: Children's Rights when parent dies

How was the property owned prior to your niece's mothers death ? Was it a joint mortgage between her and your brother ?

Was there a will at all ? and do you have any details of the insurance ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The land registry entry is in both parents names . So , I would think that mortgage was joint. Also , life insurance on the mortgage paid it off
      Last edited by Helshubby; 13th September 2015, 09:35:AM. Reason: Detail incorrect

Comment

Presumably the life assurance benefits were assigned to the mortgage company.
        The property was owned 50/50.
        The parents were unmarried, and not civil partners.
        There was no will.
        In that event the estate is shared between the children.
        IMO your niece is entitled to her mother's share of the house, and was from the date of her death when her mother's estate should have been put in trust for her until she reaches her majority.

Comment

Thanks Amethyst and des8 you've given me a starting point . We thought this was the case . My brother has been trying , unsuccessfuly , to sell the house . Looks like we'll need to take formal steps to include us (as her legal guardians) in any sale of the property . We'll certainly get in touch with a local solicitor who deals with this area.

Comment

I am not sure it is as straightforward as that.

You need to check whether they held the property as joint tenants or tenants in common. If it was a joint tenancy, your brother's partners share of the property automatically will have passed to him when his partner died.

Comment

Your right of course Steve.
              Joint tenancies tend to be favoured by married couples, or those in civil partnerships, whilst others (groups of friends for example) tend to opt for tenancies in common. The difference also has implications re inheritance tax.

Regardless of the house, the rest of the estate of the mother (chattels such as jewellery and cash) should have passed to her daughter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X