• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

equal rights compensation

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equal rights compensation

Hi i am doing this for my sister she was made redundant in April o6, she went to a tribunal to get her redundancy helped by unison her union who fought the case with her and she won. She had worked for Social Services for 17 years in this time they had been fighting for equal pay, when she left April 06 and all the time that the union was helping her to get her redundancy which was paid out Aug 06, she was not told that she needed to apply for her equal pay compensation which amounts to £4,300.She only found out about it when she called in the nursery and was told by one of the staff which was after the 6 months deadline, she got in touch with a solicitor who has been dealing with it for her and has had letters etc from their solicitors, this has been ongoing up until a couple of weeks ago. She rec a letter from her solicitor and from unisons solic stating she would be better to go through the small claims court which we are going to do.I would like some help with the POC if possible i know its a long post but i have tried to give as much info as poss as we want to take to court next week. I have read through the letters she has got and i am sure she will win this case .Thank You Sally
    Last edited by sally1954; 27th March 2008, 09:38:AM. Reason: new words

Re: equal rights compensation

UNISON were helping others claim back 6 years of equal pay compensation before she left - was she involved on that scheme initially ?

Can you scan in or summarise the letters that have passed so far - what are the reasons given for turning down her compensation application ? - purely the 6 months since redundancy ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hiya what they appear to be saying is that Unison didn,t need to tell her that the equal pay was going to be paid out to employees it was up to her to ask them for advice which seems to be a load of rubbish to me. She had worked for S/Services 17 years however she worked as a cook for 3years and it,s that category that she is entitled to the comp. They have supplied all the info regarding what she would have got had she done it in the correct timescale.What she is saying is they didn't tell her about it she only found out after the letters were sent out to the people she had worked with of which she has a copy.I am unable to scan at the moment as i have to go to work. Thank You for your reply

Comment

Yes she would have been involved on the scheme before she was made redundant

Comment

My mum was in Unison and worked for the Local Council
          The council got in touch with her to offer payments.
          She had to go and sign the forms and got the money, prob slightly less than if she had researched and gone to court, but still the high sode of 4 figures.

It seems odd that the employer didnt get in touch to settle this as was quite high profile at the time.

They have supplied all the info regarding what she would have got had she done it in the correct timescale.
          What she is saying is they didn't tell her about it she only found out after the letters were sent out to the people she had worked with of which she has a copy.
          The above statements seem to contradict them. Did she get a letter staing what she could have got or not?

I can only go on what I know happened in my mothers case, and if you got all the info and didnt accept inthe timescale then you will have to claim.

You will need to do some research first, ie wage scales and rates etc, unless you are just going to try and claim what the original offer was

PKea

Comment

Hi PKea no she didn't get a letter do you know the date that your mum got her letter as that will help with her case we know that the people that she used to work with got there letter in Nov 06.

Comment

Morning Sally

I will ask her when I see her at weekend, I will also see if she has any documents etc

Also this the Unison Site Info UNISON the public service union - Campaigns

Left your job recently but want to pursue an equal pay claim?

In general, you must lodge a written grievance with your employer or former employer within six months of the date of leaving or changing jobs.

More information on time limits, and extra copies of the enquiry form are available from UNISONdirect on 0845 355 0845. Textphone 0800 0 967 968, or email direct@unison.co.uk. Lines are open from Monday to Saturday 6am-midnight and on Saturday from 9am-4pm.
              PKea

Comment

''in general'' how useful is that.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, i know how are you supposed to air your grievance if they haven't given you the info first .

Comment

Hi Sally,

So glad you posted your query on here and glad to see that folks are trying to help you with your Sister's claim. Please try and post copies of the relevant letters you have as this will enable us to give better help and advice.
                    Make sure you edit out names and other personal detail. If you prefer you could PM these to Amethyst and she will post up on site for you.

Budgie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X