• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone calls

Quick question.

Is it legal for a company (Santander ) to phone 3 times a day, over a period of months, when I have already told them they must make contact via post.

For many years now, Santander have made phone calls, in which they have stated agreements were made, with no proof. Upon speaking to a Barrister, he stated I should ask them to communicate in writing in future and not by telephone, consequently I have always asked that they do so, to no avail.
    Tags: None

Re: Phone calls

Originally posted by Mic View Post
    Quick question.

Is it legal for a company (Santander ) to phone 3 times a day, over a period of months, when I have already told them they must make contact via post.

For many years now, Santander have made phone calls, in which they have stated agreements were made, with no proof. Upon speaking to a Barrister, he stated I should ask them to communicate in writing in future and not by telephone, consequently I have always asked that they do so, to no avail.
    No, they shouldn't do that, it constitutes harassment:
    Originally posted by Celestine View Post
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/882.html

Following the brilliant result in Roberts v Bank of Scotland PLC [2013] EWCA Civ 882

Ms Roberts brought a county court claim for harassment following 6 months of telephone calls at a rate of approx 3 per day.
    She won
    the Bank then appealed and lost badly Giving all consumers a nice Court of Appeal binding precedent of £7500 damages for the level of harassment she experienced.

This result is HIGHLY significant to anyone receiving intrusive levels of phone harassment for debts. Basically, once you tell them you don't want the calls, they can only resort to legal proceedings to 'encourage' payment. Telephoning you night and day is simply NOT acceptable.

The full thread is here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...om+harrassment

There's a letter there you can send, however, it needs adapting to your circumstances, i.e. if you are not paying you may want to leave those bits out, if you haven't paid in years you'd want to avoid anything that may acknowledge the debt :scared: such as in this adapted version: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...360#post565360 :thumb:

Comment

Quick question.

Satans Bank knows little and understands less.

There has I believe been clarification on Roberts - v - BOS recently and it is not I think as effective as once thought.

To stop Satans calls address a Formal Complaint to the CEO marked Personal & Confidential. State how many calls per day, week, month and remind him that it is your right to demand how/when and where you are contacted and it is your declared wish that no phone calls by landline/mobile phone/ SMS text message are made all contact must be in writing via Royal Mail.

nem

Comment

Thank you very much for the information.

I actually made a complaint to Santander, notifying them they had previously been notified that I wanted communication via letter for legal reasons, to which I received no reply.

I then contacted the FOS, who in turn contacted Santander.
        As a formal complaint was made via the FOS, Santander were forced to send me a letter, in which they stated they would ring me as often as they wanted.

The debt is a mortgage, where a complaint was made to the FOS, who refused to deal with the main part of my complaint. Probably because it dated back over many years.
        I shall create a separate topic on that, as I do need some advice on how to proceed, if at all.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information.

I actually made a complaint to Santander, notifying them they had previously been notified that I wanted communication via letter for legal reasons, to which I received no reply.

I then contacted the FOS, who in turn contacted Santander.
          As a formal complaint was made via the FOS, Santander were forced to send me a letter, in which they stated they would ring me as often as they wanted.

The debt is a mortgage, where a complaint was made to the FOS, who refused to deal with the main part of my complaint. Probably because it dated back over many years.
          I shall create a separate topic on that, as I do need some advice on how to proceed, if at all.
          OK yes create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
          Does your phone have a number blocking system? If so every time Satans bank calls block the number.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X