• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dodgy loft conversion, but work completed over 6 years ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy loft conversion, but work completed over 6 years ago

Had a loft conversion done by a local company who are still trading back in Sep 2008. Shortly after the work was completed we had some windy weather and it became apparent that the loft floor shudders back and forth under such conditions (over around 20/25mph). Not only that, but the next floor down also vibrates now. The end result was that we couldn't use the left as our bedroom - too scary.

We had a very unfortunate run of luck immediately after, repeated miscarriages, death in the family, heart surgery - you name it and the end result is that I've waited far too long to get this sorted, though for the past 6 months I've have been trying hard.

In 2011 I notified the builders of the issue. They said "nothing could be done without major structural work" and that it was "normal". Three attempts that year to get them to come out resulted in nothing.

The loft was designed by an architect whom the building firm use. I paid the builders, they forwarded it on. The architect used a structural engineer to check the beam calcs.

This year, I requested beam calcs and plans from the architect. He went back to the structural engineer who looked at my house on Google Streetview and then admitted he hadn't taken wind load into consideration during the design and came up with a raft of suggestions to fix.

I've been in touch with the company who did the building control certificate and they are coming out to look next month.

Meanwhile though, I'm being totally ignored by the builders. I've asked them time and again to please come and have a look - I just want to know whether it's safe. I can't imagine that it is and I honestly can't decide whether to have the roof fall on me on a windy night or be on top when it falls! The monitor on my desk wobbles on the first floor and all the plants shake in the loft room.

So my question is, I'd like to find out what the remedy is and then employ another company to do the work. After getting a quote, I'd like to issue a court claim to the original builders for that amount. However, I honestly am not sure who is at fault and who I should be pushing. Architect? Building Control? Engineer? Builders?

I called trading standards and they said a) It's more than 6 years now and I can't do anything, and b) It would have been the builders as it was them whom I was a customer of.

If someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Apologies for the long post...
    Tags: None

Re: Dodgy loft conversion, but work completed over 6 years ago

Afraid I agree with Trading Standards (presumably actually CAB?).

The six years limitation period applies to both negligence and breach of contract.

I don't even think the court has power to extend the limitation period in these circumstances.

Comment

Sorry yes, I meant the CAB. That's disappointing news, I know it's been a while, I'm mad with myself for leaving it for so long.

Comment

Maybe look into whether the company was registered with any trade body like NHBC and if that offers a greater length of guarantee against structural defects.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X