• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Complex DVLA/Tax Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complex DVLA/Tax Issue

Hi

Complicated issue here, please bear with me.

I bought a van from an auction around a year ago (bit of a heap, I needed a push to get it started when I left) and received the green new owner slip and a receipt. The vehicle was taxed for a year I was told. I got insurance, got a new starter for it and drove it for the past year.

Around three weeks ago the gear box stiffened up and I couldn't get it home, so I parked it a couple of roads down from me. I had literally just re insured it, but I cancelled that before they had time to ask for my info etc as it conked out. I decided to scrap it.

In the last week I tried to find the V5 I need for the scrap man...can't find it. Only the green slip (blank, not filled out with my details) and the receipt. Thinking back, I don't remember actually receiving the whole V5.

Next thing, I drive past (I've since bought a different van) the old van and it is clamped! No yellow lines or anything?? I check the windscreen and it says it is untaxed, yet I've received no letter from DVLA.

I check the reg online and it says it has been untaxed for four months! I've been obliviously driving around an untaxed vehicle for over three months (so much for auto number checking cameras etc). Something isn't right, I couldn't remember putting more tax on it but then I'd usually do it when I got the reminder letter. It hadn't occurred to me that the tax must surely have run out by now.

Anyway, I closely check the paperwork I have got (receipt from auction) and realise the address is wrong. My name and post code is right, but the road name is incomplete, and the number is a digit short. I find it hard to believe that this isn't deliberate on the part of the auction house, as I was very clear about my address but either way it appears that they have either registered me wrongly with DVLA or not changed the owner. I never actually saw the whole V5 when I bought it.

So questions...how could I have been insured last year if I wasn't the registered owner?
    Would the auction house have any reason to deliberately screw with the V5?
    My initial reaction was to phone the DVLA and explain, but I've been strongly advised not to tell them because they are 'b*stards'. I believe that the vehicle is now viewed as dumped, and I am very reluctant to 'grass myself up' to the DVLA as I suspect I would be fined and lord knows what else. They may even accuse me of deliberately giving an incorrect address, which I absolutely did not do. I had no reason to.
    If they decide it is dumped, would they go as far as checking previous insurance etc for an old banger if the DVLA has incorrect records, or would they just scrap it? I just want it to disappear off the face of the earth now.

What should I do?? It's really worrying me and if they hadn't gotten rid of the tax discs this would never have happened!!

Thank you for reading my essay.
    Tags: None

Re: Complex DVLA/Tax Issue

Did you register the Vehicle after purchase?

Is the green slip the one from the Auction?

Who insured the vehicle and who taxed it

Who is the registered owner is it in your name with a part correct address

Comment

Re: Complex DVLA/Tax Issue

To be honest this was the first vehicle I had bought on my own, and I jumped in at the deep end with an auction. Inexperience has meant I've not been on top of this situation.

The green slip was the one the auction guys gave me. They said I would receive the V5 but only recently did it occur to me that I did not receive it. Therefore I did not register myself as the owner and assumed that was all sorted.

I knew it had plenty of tax and didn't worry as I'd get a letter to remind me when it was due. Only now have I checked online and it ran out four months ago. I have never put more tax on it. The insurance I simply got through confused.com when I got the van. No questioning about ownership at all. Went through fine. It was taxed then.

As for who the registered owner is, I've no idea. The incorrect address is on the receipt from the auction house, so I assume they registered it with that address which is why I've received no correspondence from DVLA. On the other hand, they may not have changed the owner at all for all I know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X