• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How do we change to tenants in common?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we change to tenants in common?

My partner and I have been together for over 20 years now, we are getting older and need to sort out "our" property ownership and would appreciate some guidance on "how to".
    Both of the houses we have lived in have been in my partners name and were purchased and mortgaged by her thanks to inheritance and my guidance.
    I sold my house some years ago and the money has been used for maintenance, improvements, repairs etc. We have agreed that a percentage of the property should be put into my name so as my children still benefit from a property inheritance.
    I think this would mean my name being put against the house on the land registry as a percentage owner or tenants in common as I believe it is referred too.
    Is this something we could do or do we need a Solicitor to do it?
    Tags: None

Re: How do we change to tenants in common?

Strictly speaking, you can do it yourself. Provided you've agreed on the relevant percentages, you'll need to complete a Declaration of Trust and have it lodged with Land Registry. There is no fee payable.

It's always better to use a lawyer (who will offer to do it at a fixed fee) because they cover more points within the DoT and can ensure it's done right - fighting over cohabitation disputes is a costly exercise.

Comment

Thank you dan_1207 for the guidance.
      We are very aware of "the mess" we could leave for our children to sort out and want to avoid that where ever possible.
      Thanks again.

Comment

It certainly makes sense for someone in your position to be tenants in common, so the "share" in the property can be left in your will.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X