• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander Current Account - Overdraft Fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander Current Account - Overdraft Fees

I have an overdraft facility on a Santander current account, which is subject to an 'arranged overdraft' fee, which I pay each month.
    That's the easy bit.
    However, a couple of months ago, when the monthly fee was applied to my account, it took the balance over the agreed overdraft limit (for three days) - as a result of this, they are charging me Ł18 for an 'unarranged overdraft' (Ł6 per day).
    I am trying to argue that this seems unfair as it is their fee that took my account over my limit (by about Ł25). They have resisted and insist the charges are correct (which, technically they may well be, but morally it seems wrong).
    Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
    Tags: None

Re: Santander Current Account - Overdraft Fees

Probably not much that you can do apart from closing your account and going elsewhere.

In the 1990's, I used to go over my limit with Abbey National quite often. I would then visit a branch and they always refunded the charges and normally increased my limit. Those days their branch staff had authority to make decisions and use common sense.

I now have their zero current account (no longer available). The best thing is that there are no charges if you go above your agreed overdraft limit though this month I paid over Ł30 overdraft interest - I have a fairly high overdraft limit ie thousands rather than hundreds.

Comment

I've had their latest (and probably final) reply, which states that they will basically do what they like - if their fees cause my account to exceed the overdraft limit then that's just tough.
      I've told them that I'm off to the FOS, but I expect they won't be too worried.

Comment

I don't think there's much you can do now since the test case was lost, unless you can demonstrate extreme financial hardship.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafka View Post
          I don't think there's much you can do now since the test case was lost, unless you can demonstrate extreme financial hardship.
          All that can really done is to close the account and go elsewhere. That's what I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafka View Post
            Test case?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X