• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lost deeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost deeds

Hi All

My Mother has been offered a boiler scheme from British Gas as she is a senior citizen.

One of the terms is that she needs proof of ownership of the house - now herein lies the problem. Dad passed away unexpectedly in 2007 and she does not know where he put the deeds. She also is unable to get a copy from Land Registry as pre-1965 it was not compulsory to register properties.

What can she do? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Foxy :tinysmile_twink_t2:
    Tags: None

Re: Lost deeds

Presumably a full search of the house has been carried out.
    If the house was purchased with a mortgage, have the original mortgagors been approached to see if the deeds were left with them for safe keeping when payments on the mortgage were finished.
    Could the deeds have been lodged with his bank, likewise for safe keeping?
    If all else fails the property can be registered for the first time'
    Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...t-or-destroyed

Comment

Hi Des8 and thanks for your reply.

All my Mother has is the book where they made their last payment of the mortgage some years ago, however, there is no bank or building society stamp on it.

Foxy

Comment

But doesn't the payment book name the Building Society and identify the mortgaged property, as well as possibly giving a roll number?

What about previous house insurances? if available they might note the interest of the lender.

Comment

Hi Des.

My parents lived there since early 1960s and unfortunately there are no records that go back far enough as they cleared their mortgage off years ago and there are also no insurance records either. No i don't think the payment book does but I will double check - as I believe they bought it off someone years ago and there was no official mortgage.

Thanks

Foxy

Comment

I'm now becoming a little concerned on your mother's behalf, but probably groundless as she has lived there for approx 50 years.
            A house bought privately, possibly with a private mortgage supplied by the vendor(?) ....... I wonder if the conveyancing was ever completed properly.
            The deeds can't be located ............. did your father ever have them?

I think your mother will have to go down the first registration route as per the link in post 2.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X