• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Conditional Offer Withdrawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offer Withdrawn

Hi,

In February earlier this year I interviewed and was subsequently offered a position at a well known airline. However, given the stringent regulations which are required nowadays when working for an airline, my comprehensive two year background check took until around the beginning of August - over five months in total. As I have in the past worked on short term contracts in the Film/TV industry I was unable to take any work available as was worried as I might receive a start date for April, May or June (as was initially advertised when applying).

So having had a stressful five months almost completely out of work I finally received an offer of a start date for the 19th of October, over two months away, which was conditional on a reply within 24 hours. I immediately rang up the recruitment team and requested an earlier start date as not only was this seven months after applying for the job, but given that I wouldn't be allowed to take holiday for 5 weeks after starting and had two very important events/trips planned I felt it would be just to be given an earlier start date (I knew people were starting all year round). I was told to respond to the offer stating my request and reasons why. I had no response so I rang up the following day, apparently they hadn't received the email. The person I spoke to agreed to look into changing my date for me.

It took a week for them to get back to me and tell me no it would not be possible, during which time I had received another offer with the same date, again stating I had 24 hours. Later that day I received an email reminding me that I had yet to respond to my offer of a 19th October start date and had until 3pm on the 8th August to do so. I replied immediately, accepting the date. The next day, the 8th, I remembered that email I had sent which hadn't been received by the company so I replied again at 11:33 AM to both of the eoffers I had received accepting the date.

On the 13th August I received an email saying "Thank you for advising us of your withdrawal from the position..."
    Again I called up the recruitment team and spoke to the manager of one of the departments who told me that they had not received any mails from me accepting the offer, so he asked me to forward him the emails I had sent, which I did and he has today replied saying that the emails clearly show I did not reply within the necessary time frame and thus my offer remains withdrawn.

I realise in hindsight I should have sucked it up and accepted the offer immediately, however:
    A) If initially the condition of the eoffer was a response in 24 hours, did that condition not change to 3pm on August 8th?
    B) Am I liable for missing the 24 hour deadline when I was waiting for the recruitment team (who did not advise me to accept the offer anyway) to tell me that there were no earlier dates available?

Apologies if this has been too long winded!
    Tags: None

Re: Conditional Offer Withdrawn

Emails are deemed as served once they are sent. The reason they didn't receive them is due to technical issues at their end and how the email system is setup to detect spam etc.

And of the day though, you have nothing to gain from taking this further other than a weeks wage in compensation! Unless you can proof you had declined other work! Though one thing you could do is write a formal letter of complaint to the airlines HR department!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X