• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance for adopted children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance for adopted children

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help

I am acting as executor for my sister's will. My sister has left her grandson an inheritance which he can receive at the age of 18. Unfortunately he is in the process of being adopted so our family will not be able to contact him. I have not got a clue how I can set aside the money for him and how will he know he has an inheritance. Solicitor and Social services a bit stumped and I can not find anything on the internet
    Tags: None

Re: Inheritance for adopted children

Hi and welcome.
    I understand that it is actually illegal to try and make contact with an adopted person until they have reached the age of 18 years.
    It would seem therefore you will have to set up a trust, and when the child reaches 18 the trustees will have to try and trace the child.
    This can be done (if in England) via the adoption societies who can currently be contacted via:
    The General Register Office
    Adoption Section, Contact Register
    Smedley Hydro
    Trafalgar Road
    Birkdale
    Southport
    PR8 2HH
    England

It does seem odd that a message cannot be left with the adoptive parents via those arranging the adoption. Direct contact would not be necessary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X