• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Builder billing us for job that was part of insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Builder billing us for job that was part of insurance claim

The insurance company instructed and paid builder direct.

Comment

Sorry yes we have the DEIC but this work needs to be notified to NICEIC and Compliance Cert issued.
      We have found out today though that the info on the DEIC was wrong. the contractor has admitted that what he put on the Cert was wrong and he only changed the consumer unit. Is that not illegal?

Comment

An electrician registered with a competent person self-certification scheme authorised by the Secretary of State will self-certify that notifiable work is safe and complies with the Building Regulations. When using a registered electrician, you do not need to notify a building control body.
        Once the works are complete the electrician will arrange for you to receive a Building Regulations compliance certificate within 30 days, and for your local authority to be notified about the work for its own records. If you do not receive this certificate contact your electrician’s registration body.

All complaints to the insurers!

Comment

Yep we are getting nowhere fast - Ive been putting off having to explain the whole sorry story again but complaint to the insurance company is next. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

As far as I am concerned because your insurance company instructed and paid the builders they are the people with the contract. The only contract in my opinion you have is a verbal one concerning the windows which would be your word against there's.

Comment

The insurance company may wonder why the builder they paid has given you some windows free?

Comment

The builder has probably thought there was more than enough in the job to do this but has underestimated and there was no way of getting the insurance company to pay, how would he ask them. If it went to court I would doubt if the insurance company would have anything to do with it, the windows wouldn't be on their contract which is the only contract there is apart from a verbal one. So who is going to admit in court that they were both going to de-fraud the insurance company?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  The insurance company may wonder why the builder they paid has given you some windows free?
                  I doubt that it will even come up.
                  I would be very surprised if the work had been put out to tender.
                  The insurance company probably appointed a loss adjuster/surveyor who priced the work.
                  The surveyor would then appoint the builder.
                  If the builder puts in extras that will be at his cost, as he is reducing his margins.

Comment

Yes he did have plenty of money in the job and openly said so. The only reason he is threatening us now is because we are "causing trouble" by insisting we have the correct certification for the electric work done.

Comment

Well as far as I am concerned the builder was contracted by the surveyor to carry out specified works ultimately to your approval. If you are unhappy then you go back to the surveyor, which you have done and seen as you aren't happy with his explanation then you just make sure you are asking for something that you definitely should have. With electrical or gas certificates then the relevant governing bodies are the best place to start. If he is threatening extreme action for this trouble you are "causing" then there is more to this than is being disclosed here. If the electrician was un registered and thus unable to certify there work they would be in the most trouble but I don't even know how clear cut that would be because it would be down to whether they advertised the fact that they were registered or not and if they weren't whether they were working under the assumption a qualified electrician was going to test and certify the work. I am unsure how that works in the electrical work but what I do know is that it was illegal for anybody other than a gassafe engineer to install and connect a gas appliance and the engineer who has signed it off for you has taken a big risk that might come back to haunt him.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X