• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HPI Unrecorded vehicle brought from Copart, transpires to be recorded twice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPI Unrecorded vehicle brought from Copart, transpires to be recorded twice!

Hi i am looking for some advise, Just over a year ago i brought a 2013 Vauxhall Zafira from a company called Copart, this is a members only car salvage auction. The vehicle in question was advertised by them as unrecorded in that the minor damage it had done to it was not show on the HPI register, the vehicle was brought for my parents.

I used a acquaintance's membership details to bid on this vehicle (i am not a member) and won. The vehicle was paid for by transfer from my bank account and i collected the vehicle. On looking into the vehicle further it had clearly also been repaired/painted badly once before but this i took on the chin had it repaired and my father used it for a year. In that time it went wrong a lot, mainly due to a poor previous repair.

I went to sell the vehicle, but due to all the issues that had occurred with it, i HPI'd it. this revealed that it had been written off twice, both category D. I didn't HPI it at the time ass i had the misplaced belief a company the size of copart would not advertise am HPI recorded vehicle as unrecorded.

I tried to communicate with Copart, but they wouldn't talk to be as i am not their member. The persons who's account i used tried to contact them but they only responded to him saying the person he needed to speak to was on holiday and would be in touch, which he was not.

Rightly or wrongly i started small claims proceedings via moneyclaimonline as this has cost me thousands to sort out, i have received a defense from co part basically stating that in their terms and conditions it states that you have to be a member or an authorized bidder to bid, that the member agrees to keep their membership details confidential and not share them. it goes on to say as i am neither of the above i have no actionable claim.

They state that they as a company were selling the vehicle for a private seller and that Copart acted purely as an agent.

They also wrote me a nice covering letter stating that they will be seeking costs against me at the application hearing.

I know this is a lot of information but i was looking for some advice on where stand, i agree i am not a member of Copart and used another parties details to bid, this doesn't change the fact that they sold an two times Hpi recorded car as unrecorded.

Im aware their legal team probably read this website, however any advise would be appreciated before i speak with a solicitor.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X