• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Carphone warehouse and id mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carphone warehouse and id mobile

Hi all
    Looking for advice regarding CPW and their new network ID Mobile.
    On 15th June 2015 my husband went into store and explained we were looking for a contract that although in my husbands name would actually be for our son who is 27yo but has some special needs and is a vulnerable adult. We needed him to be able to contact home in an emergency as he was now living away from the family home. As he has a poor understanding of money etc we needed a contract that offered some control for us on the bill, and a cut off point so that he couldn't run up excessive bills. The suggestion was a contract with CPWs new network called ID Mobile, (piggybacks on the 3 network i believe?) The £20 per month contract with a older type Sony Experia handset offered 600mins, 5000 txts and 2gb of data. It had a £75 maximum spend and a 24mths duration. All seemed as we wanted so my OH signed the contract to this plan.
    First month no problems, second month........unfortunately the phone was then in the hands of the police (nothing criminal on my sons part):tinysmile_hmm_t2: from 13th to the 20th July. He had it returned on the 20th and by the 22nd it was cut off as the bill had reached £161+ in 2 days. He had only used 3minutes and 3texts but all of the 2GB of data plus a further 1.4GB.

We rang ID Mobile who said that the £75 maximum spend doesn't apply on this account. Had we called them to ask for more data the charge would of been £7 for 1GB. Not asking for the addition has resulted in a charge of £100 per GB!!! Incidentally, whilst using their automated service it quite clearly states. You have ?? texts, ?? mins and ?? of data remaining. Then goes on to say there is a maximum spend on this account of.... £75. Eventually we get through to customer services and they advise us to go to CPW and take it up with them as in their opinion we were mis-sold a contract that was not of the correct type for what we required or indeed what we signed up to.

Into CPW spoke to manager who agrees entirely that we have signed a contract saying £75 maximum spend but it is ID Mobiles fault. He calls them from in the store and asks repeatedly as a good will gesture to have the bill reduced to the £75 which we have no argument or problem with paying. He stated to them several times that his customer has in his hand a contract that says this, therefore was ID saying the contract was incorrect or not true? ID refused point blank to reduce the bill and would not be drawn on is this contract total rubbish. He then asked us leave it with him and he will contact his own retail support department. They too are in agreement and try themselves to get ID to reduce the bill but to no avail.

Several phone calls and two weeks later he informed us yesterday that ID have taken charge and its all in their hands and to contact them. Call back to ID to be told go back into store and ask them to stand by their contract and their staff and reduce the bill according to the contract. The advisor suggests whilst we are in store the manager should call her personally and she will advise him that it is down CPW to stand the loss. She also suggested that it 'may' but not guaranteed, be possible to change the plan to one that IS correct for our needs.

We are soooooo confused. We have been back and forth, passed from pillar to post and still no answers.

Who should we be looking to to make this right? I personally (though not sure) think that the contract signed was with CPW so it possibly rests with them? Are they in breach of contract? Are we in any breach of contract? What, if any, are the possibilities of us cancelling the contract? This bill is due to be paid on 29th August, do i pay it and hope to get it back at a later date? Do i cancel the direct debit?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Amanda
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X