• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are the solicitors messing us around?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the solicitors messing us around?

We have applied to our insurer for legal assistance in a contractual dispute, which was part of our household insurance cover. We got referred to a firm which refused to take our case due to conflict of interest and subsequently got referred to another firm, which does not have similar experience with contract law/housing/public law as the first one. They seem to deal mainly with accidents on 'no win no fee' basis and I suspect they are out of their depth with our case. They had our papers for over a month now have not even yet issued their opinion- every week they say they will 'respond shortly'. Is this reasonable? Should we go back to our insurer to appoint different lawyers?
    Tags: None

Re: Are the solicitors messing us around?

It really depends on whether the claim really is that complicated. Even if it is, within the first week I'd get counsel's opinion and would go back to the client in under that time!

Comment

Thanks Dan- the claim is not that complicated IMHO as there was almost an identical case a few years ago, of which I've sent a copy to the solicitors. After looking up this firm online it seems they top the league of the complaints to the legal ombudsman. Many of these are for not progressing cases- which is what is happening to us!
      My question is- what do I do about our insurers who are supposed to be providing us cover for legal disputes? Can I appoint my own lawyers and ask them to pay for it?

Comment

[QUOTE=Monja;567342My question is- what do I do about our insurers who are supposed to be providing us cover for legal disputes? Can I appoint my own lawyers and ask them to pay for it?[/QUOTE]

Unlikely but depends on the wording of your policy.

It is extraordinarily helpful of a client to provide precedents but there is an art to determining whether the decided case is, in fact, applicable to the case in hand and it is not always easy to make that call even for experienced legal professionals. Ultimately, it is a matter for the court as to whether a binding precedent is established by the cited case and judges are very capable of distinguishing cases if they don't like the outcome it would generate. I personally had a case decided by a District Judge recently in which she completely disregarded a very recent decision of the Court of Appeal on grounds which I (and the four counsel in the case) were entirely spurious (we are taking the DJ decision to the CoA).

So, not always easy to decide whether there is a binding precedent even in the face of what appear to be similar facts.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
          not always easy to decide whether there is a binding precedent even in the face of what appear to be similar facts.
          The fact in this case are not just very similar, they are nearly identical- it's like we are re-enacting the same situation in some sort of Kafkaesque play.
          So it's more than a precedent- the facts are the same. And the statute's wording was clear enough- it did not really need interpreting by the judge. The defendants were simply trying it on (with public money, so cost was no object).

I agree with Dan that if the solicitors' are out of their depth (which I suspect they are) they should have asked for a barrister's opinion.

The wording of the policy does not prohibit us from appointing our own solicitors- as long as it's with the insurers' approval.

Any advice on how to persuade our insurers to get their act together? We've been waiting for them to appoint lawyers since June. I have completely lost faith in the law firm they've assigned us to. Is this the point we should be starting complaining to the Financial Ombudsman?

Comment

Originally posted by Monja View Post
            The wording of the policy does not prohibit us from appointing our own solicitors- as long as it's with the insurers' approval.

Any advice on how to persuade our insurers to get their act together? We've been waiting for them to appoint lawyers since June. I have completely lost faith in the law firm they've assigned us to. Is this the point we should be starting complaining to the Financial Ombudsman?
            The FO will not consider a complaint until you have been through the insurers complaints process.

What have you done to make known your disatisfaction direct to the solicitors. It sounds as though maybe you should be making complaint to the firms senior partner and/or your insurer.

Comment

Originally posted by Monja View Post
              The fact in this case are not just very similar, they are nearly identical- it's like we are re-enacting the same situation in some sort of Kafkaesque play.
              So it's more than a precedent- the facts are the same. And the statute's wording was clear enough- it did not really need interpreting by the judge. The defendants were simply trying it on (with public money, so cost was no object).

I agree with Dan that if the solicitors' are out of their depth (which I suspect they are) they should have asked for a barrister's opinion.

Recorded delivery letter to MD of the insurer ought to do it. Just make sure you're following Ts & Cs for the appointment of your chosen lawyer and do not instruct that lawyer until you have written confirmation that they approve. Often when I'm appointed, I agree to do no (chargeable) activity until that letter arrives, otherwise you pay the costs yourself.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X