• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marlin V Gwkerr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin V Gwkerr

Hi guys

I really need your help.....

I have come back from holiday after 3 weeks in the sun to a court claim dated 27th July. I have acknowledged the claim online today just in time :tinysmile_hmm_t2:.

The claim is from Restons solicitors for their client marlin. It is related to a current account from Lloyds for £1900 which was closed 4 years ago.
    I stopped paying Marlin 4 months ago after reading that debt collectors don't have paperwork for the debts that they are collecting for and maybe unenforceable :tinysmile_cry_t:. I did write to Marlin on several occasions to provide for proof of debt. For 3 months no proof was provided.

Marlin have recently provided me with statements of the account and notice of assignment.

I did do a SAR request with the £10 fee to Lloyds Bank. The statements I received show £600 worth of bank charges and interest. Surprised as I requested them to freeze interest and charges due to financial difficulties. Plus they were unable to provide a copy of a default notice as I did not receive this originally.

Can somebody advise if I should defend or try and settle out of court?

My concern is that I am a homeowner and they could get a charging order due to this £1900 debt?

The Particular of claim

The claimant claims Payment of the overdue balance under a contract between defendant and Lloyd bank Plc dated on September 2004 and assigned to claimant on October 2014. The default date and balance and the account number and sort code.
    Tags: None

Re: Marlin V Gwkerr

Originally posted by gwkerr View Post
    I have come back from holiday after 3 weeks in the sun to a court claim dated 27th July. I have acknowledged the claim online today just in time :tinysmile_hmm_t2:.
    Well done! :clap2:

The claim is from Restons solicitors for their client marlin. It is related to a current account from Lloyds for £1900 which was closed 4 years ago.
    I stopped paying Marlin 4 months ago after reading that debt collectors don't have paperwork for the debts that they are collecting for and maybe unenforceable
    :tinysmile_cry_t:. I did write to Marlin on several occasions to provide for proof of debt. For 3 months no proof was provided.
    That refers largely to other types of accounts such as loans, credit cards and catalogue accounts, ideally taken out before April 2007. Overdrafts are part of a current account so there wouldn't be credit agreement to start with. :mmph:

Marlin have recently provided me with statements of the account and notice of assignment.

I did do a SAR request with the £10 fee to Lloyds Bank. The statements I received show £600 worth of bank charges and interest. Surprised as I requested them to freeze interest and charges due to financial difficulties. Plus they were unable to provide a copy of a default notice as I did not receive this originally.

Can somebody advise if I should defend or try and settle out of court?
    You could try following the usual process, i.e. send the CPR request to Restons and see what they come up with. The CCA request does not apply to overdrafts. The whole process does take some time and it is possible to settle at any point right up to the time of the hearing.

My concern is that I am a homeowner and they could get a charging order due to this £1900 debt?
    Sadly for judgments over £1,000 made after October 2012, they can get a CO even if you make the payments agreed with the court, however, a CCJ is required to apply for a CO. Before it comes to that, you could try either a F&F or a Tomlin order to pay in instalments and avoid a CCJ (and thus also a CO).

The Particular of claim

The claimant claims Payment of the overdue balance under a contract between defendant and Lloyd bank Plc dated on September 2004 and assigned to claimant on October 2014. The default date and balance and the account number and sort code.
    On your CPR request you can ask for a copy of the contract, the notice of assignment and the default notice.

Comment

Re: Marlin V Gwkerr

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      Well done! :clap2:

That refers largely to other types of accounts such as loans, credit cards and catalogue accounts, ideally taken out before April 2007. Overdrafts are part of a current account so there wouldn't be credit agreement to start with. :mmph:

You could try following the usual process, i.e. send the CPR request to Restons and see what they come up with. The CCA request does not apply to overdrafts. The whole process does take some time and it is possible to settle at any point right up to the time of the hearing.

Sadly for judgments over £1,000 made after October 2012, they can get a CO even if you make the payments agreed with the court, however, a CCJ is required to apply for a CO. Before it comes to that, you could try either a F&F or a Tomlin order to pay in instalments and avoid a CCJ (and thus also a CO).

On your CPR request you can ask for a copy of the contract, the notice of assignment and the default notice.

I have posted the CPR 14 request today using recorded delivery to Restons. I will post up if I hear anything

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X