• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

how do I hand my house back to the mortgage company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I hand my house back to the mortgage company?

Hi

I have had my house for 10 years on a mortgage, I recently split with my boyfriend of 17 years, and moved out of the property in August 2014, I have now living in a house share. Upton until Jan 2015 I was making full payments on the mortgage, but I had to stop as I left my job and I am now on JSA. My ex partner is still living at the property and he has not been making any payments to the mortgage. He has emailed me a copy of the a letter from the mortgage company stating install 8 months in arrears and they will be taking us to court. He is adamant he's not going to may payments.

The mortgage is in joint names.

I no longer want the property and I have been advised by friends to cut my losses and hand back to house to the mortgage company, but I don't have any keys, my ex does.

The mortgage company are not nice people to deal with.

Please could someone advise me how to go about this?

Thanks

Confused71
    Tags: None

Re: how do I hand my house back to the mortgage company?

You will have to deal with them or wait for Court Action is the ex still living there

Comment

Yes my ex is still in the property and has the keys.
      Will I still have to go to court to hand the house back?

Comment

You both will be taken to court if its a joint Mortgage and a repossession order can be obtained and an eviction order to remove him or other occupants all the costs will be added to your joint account

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          You both will be taken to court if its a joint Mortgage and a repossession order can be obtained and an eviction order to remove him or other occupants all the costs will be added to your joint account
          AND once the court action starts, costs will rise exponentially. If they exceed the net price realised when the property is sold, they will pursue you - and can for 12 years.

A chap I met recently, though mental illness, had council tax debts of a shade under £4,000. He had a mortgage with 5 years remaining of the original 25 and a balance of £15,000 on a property worth £80,000. Two years later the costs had escalated to over £70,000, the property repossessed and the owner was bankrupted.

Be wary of the costs, but it looks like you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X