• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solution for Windows 10 Update Error 80240020 When Using Automatic Windows Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution for Windows 10 Update Error 80240020 When Using Automatic Windows Update

Hi Guys

Well today is the big day for Microsoft and Windows 10 Release - However a lot of people are experiencing problems with updating to Windows 10 using automatic update on their current version of windows, and constantly getting the error code 80240020.

The problem is not related to any errors on your computer, it is a server load issue at Microsoft end thats results in the automatice update timing out - Remember this is a global release so millions if not a billion or so people will be trying to download the update and install it at the same time.

There is a work around however and that is to install the following tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

You will need to know if your version of windows is 32bit or 64bit - You can find this out by going to "Control Panel\System and Security\System" and look under where it says "System Type".

Once you have downloaded the correct version for your system (32bit or 64bit), simply install the tool and then follow the on screen instructions to either Upgrade your PC or to install the installation files to USB/DVD etc. It will take a while to download, i.e. 2-3hrs or more due to high demand on Microsoft servers. But the download will not time out like it does with Automatic Update, which is the cause of the error.

Ignore all the other fixes that go into delete this, run command prompt with wuauclt.exe /update - as all that does is force the automatic update to try re download, but doesn't stop it timing out and causing the error again. Also same for the 100mb default partition size and the install directory needing to be 350mb as that's rubbish too.

Anyway enjoy your new version of windows!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR
    Tags: None

Re: Solution for Windows 10 Update Error 80240020 When Using Automatic Windows Update

I'm holding off for a few weeks until they iron out any bugs.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Solution for Windows 10 Update Error 80240020 When Using Automatic Windows Update

Thanks Teaboy, would you recommend 10? and anything special you should do to safeguard all your stuff you have saved?
      Thanks Enaid x

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
        lol... that will be a while i suspect..
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

At the moment Windows 10 is not worth the horror of booting out of Linux into Windows 8 for. I may wait for a bit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
            We're doing the same!

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              Thanks Teaboy, would you recommend 10? and anything special you should do to safeguard all your stuff you have saved?
              Thanks Enaid x
              No you can choose to either do a clean install (wipes all files etc) or a standard upgrade just like any windows update.

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
              At the moment Windows 10 is not worth the horror of booting out of Linux into Windows 8 for. I may wait for a bit as well.
              Actually its very stable release, lot faster at starting up and closing and no major bugs that i have seen so far. Very simpler to windows 7 layout, though takes a while to get used to the small changes which in fact make things easier than before and its not like windows 8.1 where you had desktop or a home screen, its just desktop now with start bar etc! Also very simple to get going too, no set up required unless you do a clean install. Also you only need the product key for your current version of windows if you do a clean install, as it doesn't ask for it if you do it as a simple update.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Yes, I have had it running in a VM on the insiders program from the start of that, so I'm well versed with it by now.

I'm just not trusting it with a real hard disk and the Win 8.1 install that came with this PC, yet. Although I know it should be fine.

Will do it in a short while no matter what, as day to day OS (linux) is on a completely separate HD, so even if Win 10 trashed the other one it wouldn't be such a disaster. On the other hand, as I don't use Windows day to day and have it running in a VM if I did need it, I'm also in no hurry to upgrade the OS on Win8.1 HD either.

Comment

I may throw an old laptop with Win 7 dual boot to the lions though if I'm bored....

Comment

no matter what, as day to day OS (linux) is on a completely separate HD,
                    Same here, also a key usb backup- smash any one of my computers with a hammer, i can have a system working within half hour.

remember its windows, it will work quite fast and look ace, for maybe 12 weeks, then it will get an update about 15 times the size of the install, start slowing, and get fat and usless. Then it will add background processes, that you have no idea about, that will make your Ferrari as slow as scoda. At the same time, it will do everything in the background to stop you using rival product, like google.

am having to use it on one pc at the mo ( win 7 )........ how frustrating.... last night, after about a 12 hour day, getting a device working accurately, when i went to switch off, windows decided that i could not finnish yet, i needed to wait until it told me i could Finnish ( please dont switch off your computer........ )

WHEN WAS THAT EVER OK TO DO. Its like a purposeful kick in the teeth from windows, Will hid the fact that we need to update ( linux tells you when you switch on , discreetly ), Then only implement it, when you decide you have finished. ( 45 mins later )

Then , just to top that off, when you switch on in the morning, it stops you, ( another 20 mins ) while it configure the updates ???? And guess how we have changed the fundamentals of your syystem, that right, were not telling you,

Lol,,,,, and people pay for that..........
                    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
                      Same here, also a key usb backup- smash any one of my computers with a hammer, i can have a system working within half hour.

remember its windows, it will work quite fast and look ace, for maybe 12 weeks, then it will get an update about 15 times the size of the install, start slowing, and get fat and usless. Then it will add background processes, that you have no idea about, that will make your Ferrari as slow as scoda. At the same time, it will do everything in the background to stop you using rival product, like google.

am having to use it on one pc at the mo ( win 7 )........ how frustrating.... last night, after about a 12 hour day, getting a device working accurately, when i went to switch off, windows decided that i could not finnish yet, i needed to wait until it told me i could Finnish ( please dont switch off your computer........ )

WHEN WAS THAT EVER OK TO DO. Its like a purposeful kick in the teeth from windows, Will hid the fact that we need to update ( linux tells you when you switch on , discreetly ), Then only implement it, when you decide you have finished. ( 45 mins later )

Then , just to top that off, when you switch on in the morning, it stops you, ( another 20 mins ) while it configure the updates ???? And guess how we have changed the fundamentals of your syystem, that right, were not telling you,

Lol,,,,, and people pay for that..........
                      Windows does give you the option to automatically download/install or manually download/install updates in the settings with or without notifications - You simply need to change the settings for it which is simple to do. Plus if you update regularly and not once in a blue moon then the updates are only small and only take a a minute or two, also the your computers specs also play a part in how long it takes to install and configure updates, so does the state of your hard drive if its not regularly defragmented. The longest i had to wait for updates to install and configure for windows 7 was 15minutes and that was when i first purchased my computer(s). So the older your computer or lower your computer specs are the longer it will take to install updates or, in fact, install anything.

Not only that when it downloads updates there is a windows update icon that appears in the toolbar and shows the progress of the download, simply click on it and it brings the windows update window up where you can cancel it if you wish too, as well as change the settings for when or how it downloads updates.

Windows 10 actually has a notification app, that shows in the tool bar, its tells you when you have new updates to install, amongst other things.

I'm using windows 10 right now and its running much smoother than windows 7 ever did, and its a much better improvement to 8/8.1 too.

Comment

I'm getting pop up notifications about W10 being scheduled to download with ever changing dates and times, not being the least technical when it come to such things can I just let this happen say at 2100hrs and just leave it or does this need hands on while happening?

Any help most gratefully welcome.

nem

Comment

It seems W10 has incorporated rolling updates too, see more details here https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...atches-arrive/
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for that Tools I have scheduled this for 1900 to night we'll see if it goes smoothly.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                              I'm getting pop up notifications about W10 being scheduled to download with ever changing dates and times, not being the least technical when it come to such things can I just let this happen say at 2100hrs and just leave it or does this need hands on while happening?

Any help most gratefully welcome.

nem
                              You can just leave it, once its downloaded to your computer you will be given the option to install. Should only take an 1hr on newer or highend pc's and maybe 2 hours on older PC's. If you do it as a complete clean install (deleting all files on your computer etc) then it will need hands on to configure, but if you do it as a basic upgrade like all other windows updates, then theirs no need for hands on, you just need to leave the power on and leaving it for an hour or 2.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X