• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

job offer withdrawn because of council tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job offer withdrawn because of council tax arrears

My brother has been offered a full time job with our local council as a bin man, he has received a letter this morning telling him that the job offer may be withdrawn within 10 days because of council tax arrears from 2010.
    The council tax arrears are for my mums house, my brother lived there in 2010 but the tenancy at that time was in my mums name and hers alone, my mum is nearly 80 years old now and she worries about what will happen to my brother after she dies so in 2014 she changed the tenancy agreement to include my brothers name so it became a joint tenancy, my brother was only on the tenancy agreement for 6 months because he decided he didnt want to be a joint tenant, he was then removed from the tenancy agreement.
    Now the council are saying that they will withdraw his job offer because of these 2010 council tax arrears because it doesnt matter if they were in my mums name or that she was the tenant at the time, they are saying because my brother was on the tenancy agreement at one time he is now liable for the arrears along side my mum.
    Is this illegal and can they withdraw his job offer??????
    Tags: None

Re: job offer withdrawn because of council tax arrears

They can withdraw a job "offer" at will unfortunately, what he could do is express dismay as the job would have helped him clear the arrears, as if he was on the agreement for the period in arrears; he is jointly and severally liable with all the others named on it, and if the only one they can find he is the one they will chase.

They would rather chase him than the 80 year old mother as it would look bad if it got to the press.

Comment

Re: job offer withdrawn because of council tax arrears

Originally posted by tracyb9711 View Post
      My brother has been offered a full time job with our local council as a bin man, he has received a letter this morning telling him that the job offer may be withdrawn within 10 days because of council tax arrears from 2010.
      The council tax arrears are for my mums house, my brother lived there in 2010 but the tenancy at that time was in my mums name and hers alone, my mum is nearly 80 years old now and she worries about what will happen to my brother after she dies so in 2014 she changed the tenancy agreement to include my brothers name so it became a joint tenancy, my brother was only on the tenancy agreement for 6 months because he decided he didnt want to be a joint tenant, he was then removed from the tenancy agreement.
      Now the council are saying that they will withdraw his job offer because of these 2010 council tax arrears because it doesnt matter if they were in my mums name or that she was the tenant at the time, they are saying because my brother was on the tenancy agreement at one time he is now liable for the arrears along side my mum.
      Is this illegal and can they withdraw his job offer??????
      Nothing Illegal or unlawful here.

Any person over 18 permanently resident at an address is jointly liable for the CT even if they are not on the tenancy agreement.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X