• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Transcribers mucked up - now too late to appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcribers mucked up - now too late to appeal

Hi all.

So...

I took a company to Court - over a warranty issue. It is a clear open and shut case.

Couldn't attend the final hearing because I had to go to a funeral.

Made submissions etc well in advance.

Paid for a transcript of the hearing, after the Judge unbelievably struck the case out.

The transcription company told me that only the judgements could be transcribed/sent, but not the hearing - there was a malfunction of the Court's recording equipment and you could not hear the lawyers representing the Defence. I was told that large parts of any transcript would therefore be absent. I had the Judgement transcript, but had no idea how said judgements were reached.

I pursued the Court for three months as I believed that the case now had to be reversed, all my fees refunded, and then the trial start again.

The Court kept telling me they had listened to the recording and it was fine.

Finally, a few weeks ago, the transcribers accepted that they had made an error in stating there was a Court mistake, and, unsolicited, they sent me the transcript of the hearing itself, with only a few parts denoted as 'INAUDIBLE'.

I clearly could have appealed the decision based on the sheer amount of lies the defence told at trial.

However, I've been told that too much time had now passed to appeal.

Further, I am soon leaving the UK for good and the time I had to appeal or start a new claim, and attend a hearing in person, something which has now been shown as being absolutely essential, has passed.

Should I hold the transcribers responsible for this? And take them to Court? Or complain to the Court's mediators/adjudicators on such matters? They have one for transcriber issues at Petty France.

My thinking is that if not told from the start that the Court were at fault here, I would have pursued the transcript and appeal.
    Tags: None

Re: Transcribers mucked up - now too late to appeal

*bump*

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
      *bump*
      Always a problem for any party claimant or defendant not appearing at a final hearing
      in extenuating circumstances such as a death in a family one can approach the court
      for a change of date, court dates are usually set quite far ahead could you have done
      this?

As to suing the " transcribers" because you could not appeal would be difficult I think.

nem

Comment

I believe that you can make an application to Make an appeal " Out of Time" more legally knowledgeable people will know more about this............there are criteria you must meet .....I am unsure if or not you could meet this criteria.
        You could make a complaint to the Ministry of Justice/Justice Minister........you could also approach you MP on the matter and ask him to contact the Justice minister.........all this takes time ........and will be a source of more hassle and distress for you ................ask yourself ...Do you really think its worth it in these days, and how the access to Justice system is being slowly moved out of the reach of us members of this so called Country of fair justice for all.

Sparkie

Comment

Any more thoughts peeps?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
            Any more thoughts peeps?
            If you want to start a new claim you will need to " have something new to say" about the claim.

As suggested you can make an application to appeal out of time but cost could be significant and
            I would recommend legal advice face to face before attempting this, as it seems you don't know the
            reason why the judge struck the claim out.

nem

Comment

Or complain to the Court's mediators/adjudicators on such matters? They have one for transcriber issues at Petty France.
              That sounds an interesting option if the route's open to you - could you post a link?

Comment

From form EX107 which you use to make a transcription request:

COMPLAINTS ABOUT SERVICE PROVIDERS

The service providers on the list are subject to a contract with the department. Under the terms of that contract, providers are obliged to have a robust complaints procedure in place.

They then tell you to approach the provider in the first instance, and if you wish to make a complaint about said service provider, you must in the first instance contact the Civl Operations Team at Petty France.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X